10 Worst Places To Own A Car

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Jalopnik has compiled a list of the top 10 worst places in America to own a car based on traffic, crime, and other factors. Here is the list:

10.) Austin, TX
Why it's so bad: The Prius with the "Keep Austin Weird" sticker will plow into you because the driver was paying more attention to their double mocha latte than the road. You won't get anywhere because crosstown traffic takes the majority of the afternoon. It's a big city that still thinks it's a small town, with predictably bad results for car owners.
Vital Statistic: The third worst traffic in the country.

9.) Washington D.C.
Why it's so bad: The roads of Washington D.C. seem to have been purposefully designed to confuse drivers and stop traffic. No one there knows how to drive, except for the cabbies, who operate on a completely different plane of existence than every other car in the metro area. The traffic is so bad that even the smallest distances are measured in time stuck in jams, not miles.
Vital Statistic: The fifth most expensive place to insure a car.

8.) Hawaii
Why it's so bad: If you live on the right island, you might be able to enjoy open, winding roads in a beautiful mid-Pacific island. If not, you're living in a the most expensive place for to own a car with heavy taxes on cars and gas.
Vital Statistic: The most expensive place in the US to own a car.

7.) Chicago
Why it's so bad: Chicago is the only city in America that can rival New York for the price of parking. Gas prices are higher than anywhere else in the county. You're likely to get ticketed multiple times a week. It's not the worst place to drive – the traffic isn't that bad - but it is one of the worst places to own a car.
Vital Statistic: The most expensive gas in America.

6.) New Orleans
Why it's so bad: Many of the streets in New Orleans are below sea level. This poses two problems. Firstly, the roads are sinking, cracking, and falling apart. Second, there is flooding. Not just when there's a hurricane, but whenever there's heavy rain. Add to that the masses of wandering pedestrians, the tourist drivers, the swarms of taxis and the inevitable high insurance rates and you have a terrible place to own a car.
Vital Statistic: Hurricane Katrina totaled an estimated 200,000 vehicles.

5.) Boston
Why it's so bad:The Greek drama that was the Big Dig was completed over four years ago, but Boston is still a terrible place to own a car. New York drivers go there and are surprised by how poorly people drive, how beaten up the roads are, and how car-unfriendly the 18th-century city planning is.
Vital Statistic: Number four densest city.

4.) Fresno
Why it's so bad: You don't get as much bumper-to-bumper traffic in Fresno as you do in the other places on this list. That's not Fresno's problem. Fresno is the auto theft capitol of the United States, and if you own a mid-90s sedan, it will be stolen. The drivers, too, are some of the worst. The city has tons of recent immigrants, many of who are still learning how to drive, and are happy to go 70 mph in thick fog or heavy rain. When it's all said and done, you still have the California DMV to deal with, and, of course, you still live in the middle of nowhere in the Central Valley.
Vital Statistic: Number one highest auto theft.

3.) Miami
Why it's so bad: Miami takes the key ingredients for a bad driving city (tons of traffic, poorly organized roads, sprawled-out city plan), and adds a heaping portion of terrible driving into the mix. Even if you come out unscathed, the insurance companies will price you out like you're living in a war zone.
Vital Statistic: Number three densest city.

2.) New York City
Why it's so bad: Welcome to the five boroughs, please check your automobile at the door.
If the tolls on the bridges don't convince you to stay out, the rutted, potholed, hundred-year-old roads will. While Manhattan is filled delivery trucks, taxis, limos, and the locals crazy enough to drive, Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx are just as bad. Every throughway is packed daily. With tolls ranging from $9.20 to $13, no one has driven into Staten Island for years. And we haven't even mentioned parking.
Vital Statistic: The densest city in America.

1.) San Francisco
Why it's so bad: The high cost of parking, the bumper cars approach to traffic, the clogged throughways, the endless one-way streets, and the hills. Old cars survive with big bumpers and little rust, but everything else gets smashed.
Vital Statistic: Number 7 densest city, number nine highest auto theft

I have driven in and around D.C, Chicago and NYC and what they say is true.... But with Chicago the outer limits have crappy traffic, drivers and roads

• Staff
nyc and chicago - not fun

I drive through the five boroughs on a regular basis. Thank god my parking is usually paid for by my boss or the site we are working at actually has its own lot. I refuse to park on city streets after what I seen done to defenseless parked cars. People also think since they have a bumper bully it means that their vehicle is now equipped with a battering ram. NM the endless parking rules. Don't forget the pedestrians that think they all walk around with invisible force fields like their a bunch of ******* xmen as they cross the street regardless of what color the crossing light is. I could go on and on why NYC should be number one on this list.

I go into Manhattan on a regular basis, and never drive in. I even have access to free parking, but would rather park in Hoboken and take the ferry into midtown. Much easier, quicker, and less aggrevation.

• Staff
From there you just take cabs/walk?

Don't forget subway....

Last time I drive in NYC was in a panel van helping my brother move in. That was one scary drive since you cannot see squat in the mirrors...

The NYC waterway system include free buses to and from some parts of the city. If I need to go elsewhere I will take a city bus or the subway. Subway is the best/fastest to go north/south. I'll just walk if it's close by, or if the city's in gridlock. I'll take a cab if I'm lazy.

The ferry ride is 10 minutes across, and run every ten minutes on weekdays, and 20 on weekends/holidays. The midtown terminal is at 12th ave and 39th st., which is 12 blocks from times square, about the same to madison square garden, and 2 blocks from Jacob Javitz center.

If I recall correctly, the parking is $12/day, and the round trip ferry ride is $15.

IMO, this is the best scenario compared to anything else.

I loved living new york but I didn't love owning a car there. I lived in Brooklyn heights for 2 years and right by battery park in manhattan for about 2 years. My building in battery park had a parking garage with attendants but they wouldn't let you drive your own car into the parking garage (that cost $600 a month per spot by the way) and the attendants would back the cars up until they touched the wall, to maximize space. I asked them about it one and the guy literally said "you're better off just painting the bumpers once a year or so because they're going to get scratched up anyways".

Just parked my bike over a weekend in NYC. $28 and I rode it in, parked it in a corner out of sight on the lower floor of a garage with a car elevator. It was fine. A car would have been a different story, methinks. Not sure how comfortable I'd be leaving my bike parked in a parking lot in NJ...

I've already left my Harley in the lot at the ferry terminal. It was fine. I've parked the vette many times there without one incident. There are usually many high end cars there.

I've also ridden a Harly in/out of Manhattan a couple of times... was a total pain.

I think Hawaii should have been higher. haha.
  • they forgot to mention that traffic in Honolulu sucks just as bad as any other major city in the US.
  • In the US, Honolulu is 2nd only to New York in population density, meaning only NY, NY has a higher number of people per square mile.
  • Honolulu also has the least miles of road per capita of any city in the US.
  • Honolulu only has one form of mass transit: TheBus. Even though it's a great system (voted one of the best in the country), the lack of an alternative means more people are forced to drive than in other cities in the US.
  • Honolulu has some of the worst drivers in the US, as a survey showed that most licensed drivers here don't even know proper right of way and common road signs, let alone how to MERGE. that one gets me the most. Too often you see people come to a COMPLETE STOP in the on ramp because they don't know how to merge.
  • It costs close to $300 to just register an Accord in Honolulu, and you have to add inspection fees, higher rates for insurance because of all the bad drivers and high cost of parts, and the highest gas prices in the nation.
being stuck on an island, you can only drive so far, and I guess that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it

Jalopnik has compiled a list of the top 10 worst places in America to own a car based on traffic, crime, and other factors. Here is the list:
9.) Washington D.C.
Why it's so bad: The roads of Washington D.C. seem to have been purposefully designed to confuse drivers and stop traffic. No one there knows how to drive, except for the cabbies, who operate on a completely different plane of existence than every other car in the metro area. The traffic is so bad that even the smallest distances are measured in time stuck in jams, not miles.
Vital Statistic: The fifth most expensive place to insure a car.
People also think since they have a bumper bully it means that their vehicle is now equipped with a battering ram. Don't forget the pedestrians that think they all walk around with invisible force fields like their a bunch of ******* xmen as they cross the street regardless of what color the crossing light is.
Yep, this is pretty the entire DC Metro area. I've haven't had the car a month and today I started taking the bus to work again instead.
It's seriously stressing me out. Easily had two close calls already with people riding my ***.

what kind of rates do parking places charge around midtown nyc now? I know they usually have hourly/daily and times in between... but it's been like 10+yrs since I was last there.

what kind of rates do parking places charge around midtown nyc now? I know they usually have hourly/daily and times in between... but it's been like 10+yrs since I was last there.

tough to say.. something like $30-40/day sounds about what I'd expect for a bunch of places. There are often distinct advantages to riding a motorized bicycle.

I thought I remembered like $25-30 overnight garages. $70 a day is just great

Back