10th Generation Civic To Be Designed By Honda America

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
American Honda Set To Design 10th Generation Civic
ff85497a_7c4d_40e0_b2c8_ceb9bb24abd0_500x353.jpg

Honda America will take the lead in a growing list of global vehicle development projects to help the automaker fend off competitive challenges in North America and hedge against a strong yen. The U.S. organization will engineer and develop the new-generation Acura NSX sports car, the next-generation Civic compact car, and other models, says Erik Berkman, the new president of Honda R&D Americas.

Berkman says he was appointed to the position in April in part because he likes to play "offense. The Japanese automaker has been nurturing its North American engineering for the past two decades. But new pressures on Honda and other Japanese manufacturers -- including rising yen values -- is putting new responsibilities on the U.S. group.

Honda is also under growing pressure from smaller U.S. market players, including Nissan and Hyundai. Last year for the first time, Nissan's mid-sized Altima sedan outsold Honda's Accord. Honda is also seeing new competition to its Civic.

"Our U.S. r&d team is taking the next step in our growth toward an even larger responsibility for meeting the needs of our customers in North America," Berkman told an audience here at the 2012 Management Briefing Seminars here today. Berkman said Honda's Raymond, Ohio, r&d center employs about 2,000 people and could expand in the next few years to accommodate the increased responsibility.

"I'm not saying the scope of our activities is on a par with R&D operations in Japan that were established more than 50 years ago," said Berkman. "But as an organization, our U.S. facilities and the skill level of our engineers have achieved full citizenship in r&d.

"We're now a big company. The question is do you play it safe, or do you swing for the fences. I like to swing."

It would have been really cool if the si exhuast was kept like the concept with the center exit hole flush with the bumper ..

There's a lot of criticism about our 9th gen hondas, and how cheap the interiors look and all that other stuff. Being a first time honda owner I must say that to this date I still see honda's from the 1980's still around which only means it's one hell of a car. Yeah, they might be playing it safe but I rather be safe than sorry, as far as the next gens is concern, I'm sure eventually it will get badder and better, which only means that I will have another one myself, especially if it's a hatch...i-vtec yo!:thumbsup:

I am driving my 4th Civic now and I gotta say this is by far the best one yet. I thought my '91 CRX was the best car I've owned but my 9th gen coupe is definitely now my favorite.
I think the other thing that we seem to forget is that the Civic is one of Honda's entry level vehicles so trim levels have to be kept fairly simple and basic so that the cost can be kept at a competitive level. IMO Honda has done an excellent job with keeping the trim level within the Civic limits without compromising quality. If you want higher quality that's why Acura was created. Similar performance while giving you more luxury if that's what you want.
I like the simplicity of the Civic while still getting great performance at a reasonable price.

My wife and I went lot hopping this last Sunday. Stopped at the Nissan dealer, and a '13 Altima was open on the lot. VERY nice car for the money. We have to actually drive it yet, but it is a nice looking vehicle. Unless it sucks on the test drive, I think my wife will be buying one, if she goes with a sedan. Now, I know that the Civic and Altima do not play in the same segment, but it will most likely be a sale that Honda loses unless they've done something stellar with the interiors on these cars.

as you said bob, they aren't in the same segment, so you really can't blame honda for having a "lesser car" than the new altima when they aren't in the same segment or same price bracket. if you are looking at an altima, a fair comparisson would be the new accord for 2013 when it hits lots. the fair comparo for the civic is the sentra, which, as far as i'm concerned, gets it's arse handed to it by the civic. even with your disclaimer staying you know they don't play in the same segment, it's not a "sale honda loses" based on the civic's shortcomings when you aren't making a fair comparo. not saying the civic is the best car in it's own segment even overall (though i bought an SI because, overall, it's the best for me)

I like it! :thumb:

Also, the Nissan Altima is used by every car rental company, which is why they have sold more. I beat the ever-loving snot out of one whenever I get an opportunity.

I've never had a rental car.. hope I don't have to either.

Oh really.. I drive my car from location to location for work now. I have to go to different sites to fix issues... :-/ I have to drive the Subie. :-/

I've drove 145 miles since Tuesday. It's stop and go too. And from a site to site that might be 5 mins away to 20 mins away.

Any update on the 10th gen on when its scheduled to be for sale?

7th gen-2001
8th gen-2006
9th gen-2012
10th gen-2017-18?

Last edited:
The 9th was was supposed to be a short production model... so my guess is 2017 at the latest. Haven't heard anything official though.

This is good that Honda America is designing it. Look at the hideous thing going on sale in Europe. I'm looking forward to a dual clutch transmission and direct injection, possibly a turbo, but not in that ugly *** 2015 euro Civic.

a lot of people love the euro hatch

Back