15% oil level OR 5k miles?

ac3jason

Maryland, Germantown
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
So im used to changing my oil every 5k miles with synthetic.
Im new to the digital info showing up on my screen. My last car was a civic lx 2004.
I came to the dealership and told them I want an oil change. They said you're still good untill 15% oil level as shown under maintenance info... this was a while back. I waited untill 15% and got it changed with synthetic oil.
Now I am at 5.3k miles and my oil level says 45%. I am used to changing my oil at 5k miles because I never had a screen telling me my oil%
Should I just change it. Or should I really just wait untill 15%?

If you're unsure which way to go, start sending samples off to blackstone labs. Get an oil analysis and that will tell you more than a generic maintenance minder.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

I will say, I change mine at 5K no matter what the minder says. It's supposed to calculate the life based on how you drive and rpms and several other factors. That said, I'd rather do it more often and spend a little extra than blow parts to save a buck or two.

See how your minder looks and keep track of the mileage/% over a few oil changes and see if you notice a trend. Maybe you aren't as hard on it as you think and you can go 6k or 7k without issue.

Since you're coming to the Dragon, get an oil change before you come down. You are going to beat on it pretty good down there. Send off your oil before and after. Also watch how your % changes with the driving you're going to be doing.

Other people may have different opinions but there are a lot of variables and more than one way to look at the oil situation. Check out the bobistheoilguy forums as well. A plethora of information and enough info to get confused as well!

Run a good tier 1 full synthetic and watch the minder plus oil analysis. You should be good to go no matter what if you do those things.

As a personal experience: My old Accord ran to 200,00+ before I sold it running conventional oil every 3-5K. Nothing fancy, just oil and filter changes. No maintenance minder. Just me remembering to do it every so often. Car ran great. Same with the current Civics we own. Every 5/6k. Both cars are just over 100k.

Just change it at 5k, and quit looking at the info....... I use to have the same problem with engine temp. gauges, I feel much better that the car I now have, doesn't have one.....:D

Have you ever had an issue changing oil on a regular bases? ........ Just change the filter with it...... "And forget about-IT".

Thanks I think ill send the sample to blackstone before and after I change it. I suppose ill change it now. Ive driven to SC, NJ twice, VA, also... i commute to baltimore for work at 4am every morning (45 min drive) Throughout these 5.3k miles. Seems like the car deserves some fresh stuff after all that. You think I can get my 3oz sample and store it untill my test kit gets here? Or will having the oil sit change the results. Kinda wanna change my oil asap now. @Nix

Last edited:
@Monk no sir never any issues. I think I will forget about the minder and start doing it every 5k. Always have changed with filter ^_^. Still going to send the samples too. Curious with what the results will be.

15% after driving your car awhile the car will recognize your driving habits, for me I drive all highway so I get more miles before oil change I have 2015 civic si uploadfromtaptalk1440720634080.jpg

i trust the Honda engineers and maintain it the way they say to. i wait til 15%

but ive got an LX and i rarely rev it over 4500rpm so i dont think my oil is being stressed very much

I change mine every 5k miles. I'm old school and don't trust computer telling me when it's time to change oil.:shady:

I change mine whenever my minder says 15% which usually is around 6,800-7,000 miles. I've done this since day 1. I currently have 23,000 miles on my car. I sent my oil sample to blackstone and they said my oil looks great and to continue to follow the maintenance minder as it is working for me. I use Mobil1 AFE and Mobil1 EP filter.

I haven't really heard of engine breaking down because people don't change their oil that often.

Back