DIY $ 15 temp gauge

CivicCanuck

North
Vehicle Model
Civic
Have an Android smartphone, mp3 player or tablet with Android? Check your trouble codes, temperature, throttle angle, engine load, road speed, and many other things with a Bluetooth adapter. First step, purchase an adapter from eBay, and wait a month for it to ship on the slow boat.

Download "Torque" from Google Play. I installed the free app, there is also a paid "Torque Pro" as well with more functions.

tg1.sized.png

tg2.sized.png

tg3.sized.jpg

Open box.

tg4.sized.jpg

Choose what format you want to display ( graph, dial, or display ) and what sensors to show data from.
tg5.sized.jpg

tg6.sized.jpg

tg7.sized.jpg

Note: it's dangerous to take photos while driving, so make sure you have an assistant to snap pictures for you.

tg8.sized.jpg

Pretty cool! Is it limited to one sensor reading at a time or can you set up a grid?

Yes, you can have a few at a time, but they are smaller. Sorry for the blurry pictures, it's hard to take pictures without a flash so they show up.
tg9.sized.jpg

I did this along time ago. I actually got the 'Torque Pro' version with my elm327. Works great and i basically only bought it for the temperature readings, but it has a lot of other useful info.

Plug in the adapter to the ALDL connector under the dash. Open your settings, under bluetooth, and pair up with the adapter. I had to change some settings in Torque to connect, disable the auto timing for the ELM327, and enable faster connection speeds

Pretty cool! Is it limited to one sensor reading at a time or can you set up a grid?

So our cars have to have sensors for that to work, right? So they just don't give use a screen to see them on.
I take it we need a smart phone as well?

Just found them on Amazon.com! They're $15.99 inc/2day shipping for those who may have Am. Prime.

Thanks for the tip on this. I am always wondering about water and oil temps in particular.

So our cars have to have sensors for that to work, right? So they just don't give use a screen to see them on.
I take it we need a smart phone as well?

The bluetooth adapter talks to your vehicle computer, and the amount of sensors that it can see varies from vehicle to vehicle. I will try it next weekend on my pickup to see what it will display. The sensors are the stock ones that your engine computer uses.

Smartphone, tablet or any device with Android as an operating system. Android can also be run on an x86 PC as well, both in emulation or as a standalone OS. My Samsung MP3 player has Android on it, it's basically a smartphone without the phone capability is what I use. The basic software is free, the 'pro version' is a couple of bucks.

Just found them on Amazon.com! They're $15.99 inc/2day shipping for those who may have Am. Prime.

Thanks for the tip on this. I am always wondering about water and oil temps in particular.

Oil temp isn't available that I know of, will double check later.

That is also how some users were seeing what ecu software their car was using (when hondata released the update in june or whatever). The torque app seems pretty cool

Back