18,000 miles valve train issue

Mxwar

NJ
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
I didn't see anything posted yet about this issue. Just wanted to share my troubles. Recently my car needed service, as I was driving I went to punch it in 3rd and didn't even get into the 4000 rpm range and my car started to stall. I was able to nurse it to a shoulder on a busy road and couldn't get the car started until a couple cranks and pumping the gas. The car would barely start and sounded like I had a boxer engine. I had it towed to the nearest dealership and in there findings, a "plunger" slipped during Vtec engagement and held my valve open on the number 4 cylinder. Supposedly it didn't do any damage and they're working to replace the plunger. They originally were expecting a bent valve and a nick in the piston. No machining is required and they're saying they are just going to replace this "plunger". Anyone heard of this or anything sound suspicious?

Definitely not something that's been posted about yet. Keep us posted on the repairs & what it's like when you get it back.

Folks on the other forum have had rocker arm failures, but this is slightly different than their problems.

I'll definitely follow up. I had it towed early Monday morning and they expect to have it back to me Friday. I noticed a loss in torque about 2 months ago and didnt think much of it. I assumed it was just the motor breaking in still. The advisor that's involved with it right now is a pretty genuine guy. He's not talking to me like I'm a moron and he's answering all of my questions without hesitation. He did say that I'm the second 2012 Si that this has happened to on the 4th cylinder and its extremely rare. I told him that I know his mechanics are certified and well rounded but now we know that this was a weak spot in my motor so is it singled to this one cylinder or is it across all 4. He said that each once of these plungers are milled specifically per cylinder so they had to order me a new one for the 4th cylinder.

I also noticed that while driving the car would kinda stumble and it felt like a misfire right around that 3000 - 4000 rpm range when I would get on it. I figured once again that its a brand new car and it was just a flaw in the software or had something to do with the throttle and the rev hang issue.

Ill check back on the posting if anyone has questions and post my results when I get the car back.

Tough break. I hope they take care of your Civic right. It'd be great to see a photo of your final list of parts needed after they're done.

IDK sounds weird to me, I've built these engines and can't figure what a plunger is.

Hopefully OP will help us and post a repair order.

Sounds like he is describing the pin that actually locks the lobes together.
I think you're right. I remember the advisor describing a lock pin to me. I should be picking the car up tomorrow and ill definitely post the parts list as soon as I get it. Whatever the issue was it was holding my valve open.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Here's the status report. Since the valve was not bent they were recommended to replace the rocker arm. It says they say a "Vtec piston" hanging out the far left rocker arm that wedged against the lower cam holder, holding the valve open.

The car has power through the entire power band now (doesn't lose power/stumble and then pick back up)
What I've really noticed was that the entire valve train is more quite. Before even when I bought the car brand new with 4 miles on it, I remember noticing a loud valve train. The 2 cars I had to choose from sounded exactly the same along with a few k20 8th gens I've heard so I thought nothing of it. But it is noticbly more quite. I'm heading home now from work to throw the intake back on and see how it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
So yeah. The locking pin that locks the high lift lobe got wedged in a way to hold the valve open. This is a first for me but I'm glad they took care of ya.

So the intake rocker arm for cylinder 4 was replaced. You're the first user here who's posted about having this happen, but foobird says others have had this on the other forum

Folks on the other forum have had rocker arm failures, but this is slightly different than their problems.

So the intake rocker arm for cylinder 4 was replaced. You're the first user here who's posted about having this happen, but foobird says others have had this on the other forum

If you don't mind me posting a thread here, but here is a thread about the problem I referred to. ********* is 9th gen civic.com.

May be a helpful reference.

One of the recent guys with the problem. May be plunger you described, but that would only be a symptom.

RockerArm_zps49a719f4.jpg

Last edited:
It's happened to at least 2 on the other forum,quickly fixed and no problems since...

jazy9yqy.jpg

Wonder if I am having same issue!!! Just happened! Car got towed there yeaterday. Car was dying sounded like Subaru and kept dieing on me! So they replaced battery said that was issue 30 minutes drive as same **** read code a local oreilys and this is what it said. My luck it's Friday! No mechanics till Monday! FML!!!! Gonna have to talk to the dealer about this bs!

Car going to dealer in 45 minutes keep you guys posted! Oh and all of m lights are on CEL power steering brake traction control

Back