2.5 vs 3in. Catback

Michael Perez

Miami, FL
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I know exhausts have been cover numerous times but my question is: given a 3in catless downpipe as a control what would be the differences in a 2.25, 2.5, and 3in catback? Is most of the HP and TQ coming from DP?

On the si, most would say you'd see the largest gains out of the 3" exhaust with mods. If you go forced induction, the same. Removing the 2 catalytic converters in the stock downpipe with an aftermarket downpipe gives quite an upgrade on it's own though.

Gents, I am really close to buying a down pipe. What was the average performance gain with the addition of the down pipe. I want to sound close to stock, but a tad deeper so I was thinking about RV6 or FR. I plan to use my stock cat back exhaust at least until next summer. Is the downpipe alone worth it, or should I just give up in my quiet exhaust? Which catted dp is best?

Isn't the RV6 downpipe only 2.5"? Will that pair with a 3" exhaust, or should I just go with the full-race downpipe to pair with my N1?

UR dp with a high flow cat would tone noise down a bit. And the reason why I say UR is I believe it has the O2 spacer welded on the bung and users aren't reporting a CEL but do with the FR dp. I remember reading it on here that's the reason for seeing many people using the UR dp with the FR catback.

It's good to know that you could almost never throw a CEL even if the cat goes bad. Even thought these high flows tend to still throw the CEL without a spacer.. They don't filter as efficiently as the stock ones.

Back