Vehicle Model
Generation X
Body Style
Dad
DIY 2012+ Civic Cargo Hook

What you need:
Important Notes:
  • Be careful not to damage the body.
  • This instruction shows the cargo hook being installed on the left side of the vehicle. An additional cargo hook can be installed on the right side of the vehicle.
  • The Flange Nut and Large Washer included in the kit are not used.
  • After Installation: When hanging objects on the hook, make sure the items are sitting on the floor.
  • After Installation: Do not hang fragile objects on the hook.
  • After Installation: Do not hang or store objects on the hook that weigh over 6.6 lbs (3.0 kg).
Let's begin:
  1. Thread the rivet nut onto the mandrel of the rivet nut tool as shown.

021a.sized.jpg

2. Insert the rivet nut into the hole in the vehicle panel and attach the hex wrench on the rivet nut tool.

016a.sized.jpg

013a.sized.jpg

025_G.sized.jpg

3. While holding the rivet nut tool with the hex wrench in a fixed position, turn the open end wrench clockwise to install the rivet nut to the vehicle panel. Keep turning until you can turn no more, much the same feeling as though you would experience when tightening a screw as much as you can without too much pressure.

4_26_2012_6_29_44_PM.jpg

027_G.sized.jpg

4. Remove the rivet nut tool from the rivet nut by holding the open end wrench is a fixed position while turning the hex wrench counterclockwise.

5. Align the cargo hook pin with the hole in the vehicle panel and secure the cargo hook to the vehicle panel using the bolt, small washer, and spring washer. Torque the bolt to 4.0 N-m (3.0 lbf-ft).

028_G.sized.jpg

4_26_2012_6_47_37_PM.jpg

6. That's it, you're done!

033_G_001.sized.jpg

Awesome DIY, I actually did this last night and didn't have to use the riv-nut's, My kit came with 10mm nuts so i just got my finger in the oblong hole( next to where the hook goes) and used a 10mm socket on a 4 in extension held the nut with my finger till i got the bolt started and it tightened without using a wrench on the nut. Thought i would post this cause my dealership would not loan the rivet nut tool. :|

• Staff
Awesome DIY, I actually did this last night and didn't have to use the riv-nut's, My kit came with 10mm nuts so i just got my finger in the oblong hole( next to where the hook goes) and used a 10mm socket on a 4 in extension held the nut with my finger till i got the bolt started and it tightened without using a wrench on the nut. Thought i would post this cause my dealership would not loan the rivet nut tool. :|
I had thought of that too, but there's was no way I could get my fingers in any position to get the nut threaded, so I just waited until CHH shipped me their rivet nut tool.
Glad that worked for you. Saved yourself a good $10-15.

so how des it work really?
Not sure I can explain this correctly, but here it goes: the rivet nut tool pulls the rivet nut from the top downward, which compresses the surrounding metal of that nut creating a permanent hold on the opposite side of the metal. At the same time, that nut still functions as a screw hole to screw the cargo hook onto.

so if i dont use the nut tool will it not hold as well?
I honestly don't know. I imagine that it won't hold weight properly and could potential warp or strip the metal from your trunk.
I'd recommend just renting out the tool to be on the safe side. If you don't want to rent the tool, then your only other option is to have a Honda dealership install it for you, which is a different cost altogether.

Successfully installed without the rivet nut tool!!

Step 1: place the nut on top of the large washer, and place them through the small gap so they are visible through the larger of the two holes.

Step 2: place the spring washer on the bolt, then the last small washer

Step 3: place the bolt along with the two washers through the cargo hook all the way

Step 4: slowly place the cargo hook up towards the larger hole where the nut and large washer are currently sitting

Step 5: slowly screw the nut on the bolt just enough to hold it

Step 6: get a socket wrench and place it up into the cargo hook (10mm)

Step 7: place your finger up on top of the nut and push down as you screw the bolt in with the socket wrench

step 8: save $15 by not ordering a rivet nut tool

Back