Generation X
Body Style
Dad
DIY 2012+ Civic Cargo Net

CARGO-NET_mid.jpg

What you need:
Important Notes:
  • Be careful not to damage the body.
  • After installation: Do not store large or fragile objects in the net.
  • After installation: Do not store objects with sharp edges or corners, as
    they may damage the cargo net or the vehicle. Wrap them in paper or a blanket so they will not contact the net directly.
Let's Begin:
  1. Install a bolt into each anchor A, and install a self-tapping screw into each anchor B.

002a.sized.jpg

2. Open the trunk lid. Remove the four clips from the trunk side lining.

5_5_2012_4_38_37_PM.jpg

3. Pull off the weatherstrip in the areas shown below, and move the trunk side lining out of your way.

5_5_2012_4_51_10_PM.sized.jpg

DIY Tip: If you have time and will, I highly suggest removing the entire inner trunk liner as it will make the entire process much easier.

4. Using a drill, enlarge the two top clip holes shown below to 9 mm.
    Remove any burrs, apply touch-up paint to each hole, then let dry.
    To prevent drilling through the inner panel, wrap blue tape around the drill bit 10 mm (0.4 in.) away from the tip.

010_G.sized.jpg

5_5_2012_4_47_44_PM.sized.jpg

5. Install two rivet nuts in the 9 mm holes you enlarged.

021a.sized.jpg

5_5_2012_4_58_17_PM.sized.jpg

015_G_001.sized.jpg

6. Install two bolts/anchors A into the rivet nuts.

017_G.sized.jpg

7. Pull the levers to fold the rear seat-back forward.

8. Remove the trunk floor mat (one clip).

5_5_2012_5_05_13_PM.jpg

9. Attach template R to the trunk right side lining as shown below.

5_5_2012_5_09_03_PM.sized.jpg

021_G.sized.jpg

10. Put pieces of tape underneath the two marks.

11. Mark the tape under template R with a pushpin and a felt-tip pen as shown below.

5_5_2012_5_14_15_PM.jpg

12. Remove template R.

13. Attach template L to the trunk left side lining as shown below.

5_5_2012_5_19_41_PM.sized.jpg

029_G_001.sized.jpg

14. Put pieces of tape underneath the two marks.

15. Mark the tape under template L with a pushpin and a felt-tip pen.

16. Remove template L.

DIY Tip: As it just so happens, there are indentations in the body of the trunk at all four of the same spots that you marked with your push pin and felt-tip pen (shown in a photo below). I don't know if this was intentional by Honda or just a coincidence, but you use those indentations to verify that you have marked to correct spots before drilling.

032a.sized.jpg

17. Drill a 5.5 mm hole through the trunk side lining and the trunk floor at each mark.
    Start with a 3 mm drill bit and finish with a 5.5 mm drill bit.
    Remove any burrs, and apply touch-up paint to each hole.
    To prevent drilling through the inner panel, wrap blue tape around each drill bit 10 mm (0.4 in.) away from the tip.
    Before drilling, pull up the trunk side lining and check that the trunk lid opener cable is not under the places to be drilled.

5_5_2012_5_26_38_PM.jpg

18. Repeat step 16 to drill the left side of the vehicle.

19. Remove the pieces of tape. Install self-tapping screws/anchors B into each 5.5 mm hole you made.
    NOTE: If tightening becomes difficult, protect the self-tapping screw/anchor B with a shop towel, and tighten it with pliers.

20. Repeat step 18 to install two self-tapping screws/anchors B on the left side of the vehicle.

033_G_002.sized.jpg

21. Install the cargo net to the anchors in the trunk. You're all done!

041a.sized.jpg

great write up & pics! Used the net on my civic all the time

Really like the DIY info. I would like to get this for my car, but wonder about when you don't have the net in. How does placing things within the trunk, does it catch on the clips? I would be worried about them getting broken from moving objects around or snapping it. Any ideas or personal experience of it?

• Staff
Really like the DIY info. I would like to get this for my car, but wonder about when you don't have the net in. How does placing things within the trunk, does it catch on the clips? I would be worried about them getting broken from moving objects around or snapping it. Any ideas or personal experience of it?
There's always that possibility, but the hooks are thick, round, smooth, and point downward so you'd likely have to have something heavy to break them. I've only had my car for a month so I can't speak to any length of experience yet.

That said, I'd recommend purchasing the Trunk Tray if you are still worried about it...that's what I did. The tray has these lips around the hooks that give it a little extra protection, but the lining isn't hard so keep that in mind.

trunktray.jpg

had the hooks in a previous civic and it lasted 4+yrs without any issue. I used the trunk all the time for transporting items and never had damage.

I didn't even notice the hooks can be seen in the trunk tray in other photos. I thought I was SOL when I had the trunk tray in the vehicle. This is promising, but I would not get the trunk tray for right now I believe.

another thing to realize is where they sit in the floor of the trunk. The back ones are basically at the edge. You can set stuff on those front ones without issue, and it's not like they stick up much. The ones I had were really dense plastic. Unless you're thinking about hauling cinder blocks right on the thing itself... you shouldn't be worried about it.

That is a ridiculous amount of work just to put a net in. I was always under the assumption that any connection locations were already there in cars and you could just clip one in.

Yeah, it was definitely a chore. You'd think that Honda would have at least created all of the necessary holes in the proper spots during manufacturing. Drilling them all made me extremely nervous.

That is what I was thinking when I was looking at your DIY. It seems to me that having the cargo mat would been extremely helpful for lining up the bottom holes.

I'm thinking about installing the cargo net. Did you need the rivet tool? I see that CHH rents it out. Is that what you did?

Step 5 shows the rivet nut tool, which is what I used. I'm not aware of any other way to install it without one.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ho...12-honda-civic-sedan-interior-accessories.htm
scroll down a bit - it's a loaner from collegehillshonda
This is the Rivet Nut special tool that is required to install the cargo net. This tool is a loaner only. Your card will be charged $95.54 for the use of this item. Upon returning the tool to us we will then credit a total of the $85.54 back to your card. Please insure the tool, use package tracking and obtain an RA number from us when shipping it back. If it does not make it back we cannot refund the $85.54. Please, since tools are limited be courteous and return them quickly so they are available for others to use. NOTE: This tool is only for loan with the purchase of a cargo net or cargo hooks from College Hills Honda. Feel free to call and check for tool availability.

I rented one from College Hills Honda.
I'm pretty sure there's a way to make your own and you can probably find a tutorial online somewhere. I just found it easier to rent the tool that Honda recommends.

oh, I got ya. Calling a local dealership would maybe be the only other way then? May be something a local dealership would loan?

I rented one from College Hills Honda.
I'm pretty sure there's a way to make your own and you can probably find a tutorial online somewhere. I just found it easier to rent the tool that Honda recommends.

Sounds good. That answers my question. Thanks!

Back