Vehicle Model
Generation X
Body Style
Dad
DIY 2012+ Civic Door Edge Guards

DOOR-EDGE-GUARDS_mid.jpg

What you need:
Important Notes:
  • Door edge guards cannot be installed if the vehicle is already equipped with body side moldings.
  • If you want to install body side moldings, install them after you install the door edge guards.
  • This DIY article shows the left rear door edge guard being installed. The same procedure applies to installing all of the door edge guards.
  • Be careful not to damage the body paint finish.
  • Clean and wax the areas to be covered.
  • Identify each door edge guard by holding it up to the door and matching its contour with the door edge.
  • Click on any of the pictures to see them in higher resolution.
Let's Begin:
  1. Gently place the door edge guard on the door so as to line it up with the contour of the door.

2. Using a felt tip pen, mark the sealant at the top and bottom ending point of door edge guard, then remove the guard.

12_1_2012_6_03_48_PM.png

3. Position the cutting edge of the seam sealant cutting tool against the door edge, and trim the seam sealant from mark to mark. The cutting tool only cuts in one direction. For the left-hand doors, start from the top and work your way down; for the right-hand doors, start from the bottom and work your way up.
    With the cutting tool, keep pressure against the door and stay flush. You're only trimming a sliver of the sealant. When you're done, it should look like the photo below.

4. Apply touch-up paint to the cut seam sealant area, and let it dry for at least 15 minutes. The reason for the touch-up paint is to hide the yellow color of the sealant that was exposed.

5. Position the door edge guard on the door and align it to the marks made in step 2.
    Starting at the top character line, gently tap the door edge guard into position with a series of light
    taps using a rubber mallet, then work your way down. Make sure the position of the door edge guard is correct. The guard will slowly bend into the proper position as you apply taps. Once in place, do not remove, reposition, or reinstall the door edge guard or it will not hold securely. After the entire guard is in place, you can give it slightly harder taps to ensure a firm fit.

6. Repeat steps 1 through 6 to complete the installation of all the guards for all the doors on your car.

That's it, you're done! Here are some photos of them installed on my PMM Sedan.

Wow! Looks better than I would have expected. Barely noticeable from a distance. Too bad they don't go all the way up to the trim below the window, though.

look around the wheel archs as well and you will see it as well

Attachments

• 307086_2871699010958_418614215_n.jpg
    307086_2871699010958_418614215_n.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 197659_2871702571047_355444160_n.jpg
    197659_2871702571047_355444160_n.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 252328_2871697450919_1268456259_n.jpg
    252328_2871697450919_1268456259_n.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 47
interesting to see it around the wheel arch area.... is that intended to help with door dings, or you think it's purely cosmetic?

Hey guys, this may be a stupid question but I'm just making sure I'm correct on this - I noticed my car (picked it up yesterday!) had some gluey residue on the edges of the doors where these would normally go and I'd like to add them. I can check tomorrow, but as long as it appears the seam sealant has been cut already I should just be able to add these without doing any cutting right?

Hey guys, this may be a stupid question but I'm just making sure I'm correct on this - I noticed my car (picked it up yesterday!) had some gluey residue on the edges of the doors where these would normally go and I'd like to add them. I can check tomorrow, but as long as it appears the seam sealant has been cut already I should just be able to add these without doing any cutting right?

If the seam sealant is the same color as your paint (assuming you don't see touchup), you will need to trim/shave it.

I know this is a old post and Im thinking of getting one for my car. Does the kit come with the wheel ones? It looks like you have it there.

I know this is a old post and Im thinking of getting one for my car. Does the kit come with the wheel ones? It looks like you have it there.

The kit only comes with ones for the doors. There is no OEM kit for the wheel wells.

The kit only comes with ones for the doors. There is no OEM kit for the wheel wells.
:yeahthat:

The dealer threw those on when I bought the car, and they were crap.

Another question. what is the purpose of the sealant. I think when I installed mine it cut a little too deep (down to the metal) and a little more than I should at the top. Is the sealant there to stop water?

Back