DIY 2012 Civic Illuminated Door Sills/Side Steps (4 Door)

where can i buy these 2012 civic jdm illuminated sills. i was at my local honda dealer today and saw them on the new 2013 accord.

where can i buy these 2012 civic jdm illuminated sills. i was at my local honda dealer today and saw them on the new 2013 accord.
They are only available overseas. If you're lucky enough to find someone that has imported them, then you're good. That's how I got mine.
So far, I'm the only one I know that has the sills that are illuminated on all four sills.

Very nice! I have only had my 2012 Si for a week and have been looking at all of the mods/DIYs on the site with great interest. This one seems very intimidating and all I can think of is if I started to tear apart my new car and my wife came out, she would have a few choice words for me. I might have to wait a little while before I tackle these kinds of mods.

Great job though!

Because it's so rare and so visually appealing, I highly recommend it. How to obtain is a different story altogether.
The install is time-consuming, but it's not difficult and well worth the effort.

Is it necessary to tie into the cluster or can we just wire tap?
For the 2012, it's required to wire tap in that very spot shown; the wires aren't long enough to go anywhere else. The 2013's supply a dongle that no longer requires wire tapping.
Hi, how long it takes to do the job?

thanks
It took me a little over four hours to finish. I took my time with it though.

Okay. Thanks. I have read that the 2012 and 2013 door garnishes are different and don't work. Is it the size that is different?

Okay. Thanks. I have read that the 2012 and 2013 door garnishes are different and don't work. Is it the size that is different?
The sizes of the sills haven't changed, but the connector on them are completely different. 2013 Civics have a 28-pin connector, whereas the 2012's have a 20-pin connector; which makes them incompatible.
Now I suppose it's possible to simply wire tap all of the wires from the 2013 sills into your 2012 Civic, but no one has tested that theory.

The great thing about the 2012 sills is that they support illumination on all four sills, whereas the 2013s only illuminate the front sills. It's just too bad that Honda won't sell those in the US.

Ya, no kidding. I'd really like the same ones you have. Still have a contact in Australia? ;)

Ya, no kidding. I'd really like the same ones you have. Still have a contact in Australia? ;)
I believe everyone is very aware who team3d is. He's the only contact I know of. He sold them on the other forum, although he only had two sets at the time.

I believe everyone is very aware who team3d is. He's the only contact I know of. He sold them on the other forum, although he only had two sets at the time.

Thanks. I have PMed him.

What do you think about these? All 4 illuminate, but installation will certainly come with no instructions and will be a PITA.
Taiwan is usually much better quality than the Chinese stuff, but I'm still leery of quality. They sure are a lot less expensive though. Free shipping to boot.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENU...ear:2012|Model:Civic&hash=item3a84573dfc#shId

Thanks. I have PMed him.

What do you think about these? All 4 illuminate, but installation will certainly come with no instructions and will be a PITA.
Taiwan is usually much better quality than the Chinese stuff, but I'm still leery of quality. They sure are a lot less expensive though. Free shipping to boot.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENUINE-HONDA-CIVIC-9TH-SEDAN-LED-DOOR-SILL-TRIM-GARNISH-KIT-2012-/251328413180?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2012|Model:Civic&hash=item3a84573dfc#shId
Looks like they duplicated the OEM sills. They look exactly the same, with the exception of the wires themselves.
Lack of instructions would definitely put me off, which is why I stuck with the OEMs. Just message the buyer and see what he/she says. Their price is less than half of what I paid for mine.

I still have a copy of the 2012 installation instructions for mine, so if you do buy them and they don't come with instructions, you could send me pictures of the connectors and I can tell you whether or not they are the same.
Also, you could compare them to the 2013 instructions, which I have as well.

Thanks for offering wiring help!

I was looking at the sills very closely and they look identical. Quality of plastic may be inferior though. I think im going to take a chance on them. Will message seller first.

Last edited:
@jasonandre Update...

I bought the ones from eBay and received them yesterday. I will post detailed pictures of connectors later.

I have a question about where you cut the rubber door trim and then took out the metal inside to feed the wire through. Is this hole even necessary? It seems the wire is just running underneath the rubber trim. Is the hole just so the rubber can go back on flush?

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
@jasonandreIs this hole even necessary? It seems the wire is just running underneath the rubber trim. Is the hole just so the rubber can go back on flush?

View attachment 27646 View attachment 27647
If you don't remove the weather stripping, you run the risk of water seeping into the cabin or the wiring being chaffed by the door being opened/closed.
It's a tedious process, but I think it's recommended.

If you don't remove the weather stripping, you run the risk of water seeping into the cabin or the wiring being chaffed by the door being opened/closed.
It's a tedious process, but I think it's recommended.
I don't understand. How would not making a hole let water come in? What is the purpose of the hole? Is the hole there so the wire does not push the weather stripping up? I'm having difficulty getting my mind around this. Thanks.

As far as the connectors go, all of the lights connect together in a series circuit. Very easy. The circuit ends with two wires (positive and negative). I'm thinking that these two wires just need to connect to the two wires that you showed in your DIY. Do you have any idea which wire (the light blue or light pink) would be the positive and which one the negative?

image.jpg

Just imagine running a wire across a door, then opening and closing the door. Without a gap for the wire to fit, you'll have trouble closing the door and will eventually break the wire and or ruin the door.
Same thing here. The weatherstripping will get pushed up from the wire, preventing you from opening closing the door properly. Since the weatherstripping has metal in it, you have to remove that metal to allow room for the wire, to keep the wire from breaking, and to open/close the door properly.

I'm unsure which wire is which is which. I don't have my electrical manual anymore.
You could try accessing Honda's Service Express website to look at the electrical schematics. That will cost you $10 though.

Back