2012 Civic MPG - share your current gas mileage

My lifetime average is 39.9US MPG(5.895 L/HK or 16.96km/L) over the past 9,961.5 miles(16,031.4KM)since I bought it. It's a 2015 EX with CVT. I use a scanguage to get the most of my fuel. I drive about 60% highway. I also installed US model HF wheels for less drag. Live in southern Ontario. Love this car. I only run Exxon/Mobil/Esso 97 octane as it seems to give me better fuel economy than many others I've tried (BP/Shell/PetroCan/Pilot)
97 octane in the r18 engine???? Run your next tank on 87 and drive the same way and report your mileage. Then do a comparison on cost for 87 vs 97. There is no way you are getting ahead on that

@ScottDR

I am curious, is the 97 rating in RON or is it MON like the USA?
According to a few sites, it's the ave of ron and mon in canada, just as it is in the US.

in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the simple mean or average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

somehow I doubt its 97 that's close to rare gas 100. Your best MPG will be what the tune is set for 87 or 100 you run on the tune, be it factory or custom.

get 37mpg in my si driving nice. 32 with some spirited driving. thats using the cars info. real world calculations are slightly lower.

Dang. That almost pays for the tune in the mileage savings.

Using rough numbers. For the sake of easy math. Cause I suck at it...

I average about 25mpg all said and done. We'll call it 35MPG average that you're getting.

10MPG additional over a tank at 12Gal a tank (cause it's never completely down to the 13.2 gal cap) means ~120 miles more per tank per week if I fill up about once a week. That's about 3 1/2 gallons saved a week. At $4 a gallon that's about $14 saved each week, or around $50 a month.

How much was the tune? For some reason e-tunez.com is blocked here at work so I can't check, but I'm guessing a basic package would be right around $200.

So the tune would pay for itself in roughly 4 months. Dang. That almost makes it worth it to go ahead and tune as I sit at pretty much stock, and then I could retune after adding more bolt-ons.

He noted he is commenting the numbers the car info claims for mpg. It varies from tank to tank, but I’ve seen 10-15% inaccuracy between Honda real world calculations at the pump versus what the car info screen says. So 37 on the car info screen may actually be ~31 real world actual math.

Dang. That almost pays for the tune in the mileage savings.

Using rough numbers. For the sake of easy math. Cause I suck at it...

I average about 25mpg all said and done. We'll call it 35MPG average that you're getting.

10MPG additional over a tank at 12Gal a tank (cause it's never completely down to the 13.2 gal cap) means ~120 miles more per tank per week if I fill up about once a week. That's about 3 1/2 gallons saved a week. At $4 a gallon that's about $14 saved each week, or around $50 a month.

How much was the tune? For some reason e-tunez.com is blocked here at work so I can't check, but I'm guessing a basic package would be right around $200.

So the tune would pay for itself in roughly 4 months. Dang. That almost makes it worth it to go ahead and tune as I sit at pretty much stock, and then I could retune after adding more bolt-ons.

$250. my average mileage before all that wasnt much different. i drive like an old person most of the time. 91 octane is expensive. cost is about $1.40/L in my part of canada. costs about 50-60 to fill. not sure what american is like.
i dont think you'll see 37mpg from your car if you're getting 25mpg now. the tune was still worth the money though, night and day power wise, much smoother. plus $80 for a re tune if you do bolt ons later on.

He noted he is commenting the numbers the car info claims for mpg. It varies from tank to tank, but I’ve seen 10-15% inaccuracy between Honda real world calculations at the pump versus what the car info screen says. So 37 on the car info screen may actually be ~31 real world actual math.

i kept track for a few tanks of gas and was getting very close numbers. highest one i got was 34mpg. others were 36mpg. used the same gas station every time and just let the handle click once.

my wifes 2018 hatchback is currently getting the same mileage as my si but ive been taking a different way to work due to construction that has more stops. i imagine it would be closer to 40mpg easily taking the other way to work. ive seen it hit under 5 L/100 which is 40mpg.

my 2003 dakota is awful. which is why my wife is driving that instead of her 2018 hatch.

According to online conversion that’s 47mpg

94B783CD-823B-4BF6-8393-ADA7D1F20643.jpeg

Just filled my 2018.
Says it averaged 6.3L/100km or 37mpg
Using distance with amount of fuel pumped
6.8 or 34mpg.

I had a 2012 North America Civic LX from 2015 to 2017. I got:
  • about 42mpg (5.6L/100km) per tank with big chunks of highway driving under regular NYC suburb highway speed plus some local grocery shopping driving.
  • 37 to 38mpg (6.2 to 6.35L/100km) per tank of almost 100% remote empty highway at about 80MPH (130km/h)
  • highest record was 54mpg (4.35L/100km) of a 30 mile stretch of highway from a gas station right at a highway ramp to the first traffic light in NYC, with otherwise empty car but me and a filled up tank, A/C off, under steady 50 - 60 mph (80 - 96 km/h) speed, behind an 18-wheeler (dangerous I know, sacrificing for science:) ).
The only non-factory part was a K&N drop-in air filter. Overall I was happy with the result. I could make it from around NYC to Montreal and back with only one partial fill-up on the way.

Earlier this year my Lexus GS 350 AWD lease ended (that mpg was pathetic...if I did local driving with some traffic it got about 12mpg, or 19.6L/100km) and I went back to Civic. This time a 2013 Civic HF.

I haven't had any chance, for the well known reason, to drive any long highway trips that last anywhere near a full tank so the numbers are quite disappointing. I'm currently barely average 30mpg (7.84L/100km) on very mixed driving of local and short highway trips. But judging from the number right after filling up the tank at the side of the highway and driving home for about 5 miles, it seems much worse than my 2012, which jumped to high 40s shortly after acceleration. This 2013, couldn't even touch 40 by the time I exit the highway at 5 miles, without any extreme light foot effort. Granted, it is an older car at this point, than my 2012 when I had it, but it is a HF and is supposed to do better. I need to figure out why...

I will say the mpg indicator thing was never accurate for me. I could run a whole tank and it would vary from 10% plus or minus. So, if it said I was doing 40mpg from fill up to empty tank, it may be anywhere from say 36 to 44 when you do the actual math at the pump. Short trips it's even worse at guessing.

34 in town and up to 43 at 74mph with cruise on in gently rolling hills. That's with a 2012 sedan with the R18 engine. I just keep my foot out of it but don't drive the speed limit. Always above the limit. The car has always gotten great mileage. FWIW.

Back