DIY 2012 Civic Si Ambient Lights (Red/Si)

jasonandre

mlem
Super Mod
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Alexandria, VA
Vehicle Model
Generation X
Body Style
Dad
DIY 2012 Civic Si Ambient Lights (Red/Si)

AMBIENT-LIGHTING-KIT-RED-LED_mid.jpg

This article covers the ambient light kit installation for model year 2012.
This kit is NOT compatible with model year 2013.
Click on any of the pictures to see them in a higher resolution.

What you need:
Let's Begin:
  1. Attach masking tape to the areas shown below. This is to prevent scuffing when using a prying tool and when removing the panel.

015_G.sized.jpg

2. Remove two self-tapping screws from the center lower panel and unplug the connectors.

016_G.sized.jpg

3. Using isopropyl alcohol on a shop towel, clean the fuse case where the fuse label will attach and then attach the 2A fuse label to the harness.

047_G.sized.jpg

4. Remove the driver's dashboard lower cover. Locate the green tape on the ambient light harness. Align the green tape with the hold in the instrument panel on the driver's side. Using one wire tie, secure the ambient light harness to the instrument panel. Secure an additional wire tie to the instrument panel as shown below.

DIY Tip: I've kept the wire ties loose in these photos to more easily display their intended installation locations. It is also recommended that you keep them loose so that you can easily adjust them later or to rewire the harness entirely in case you've accidentally screwed up. When you are ready to tighten the wire ties, the harness should be placed behind the panel as indicated in Honda's instruction manual.

051a.sized.jpg

4_26_2012_7_18_28_PM.sized.jpg

5. Route the harness toward the passenger's side. At the center lower panel opening, secure the harness to the existing vehicle's harness with one wire tie, then secure another one to the frame (shown below). Continue routing the ambient light harness to the passenger's side afterwards.

055a.sized.jpg

6. Open the glove box and push the stops inward, thus allowing the glove box to fall lower. You do not need to remove the glove box and indicated in Honda's instructions. Route the ambient light harness through the glove box. Using one wire tie, secure the harness in the location shown below.

057a.sized.jpg

7. On the driver's side, route the harness through the fuse lid opening. Using one wire tie, secure the harness to the vehicle as shown below.

060a.sized.jpg

8. There is a pre-fabricated circle grid on the backside of the center panel. Drill two holes with a 3mm drill bit as shown below.

029_G.sized.jpg

9. Enlarge the center hole with a 20mm hole saw bit.

030_G.sized.jpg

10. Once the hole is drilled, remove any burrs using the deburring tool.

033_G.sized.jpg

11. Align the tab on the supplied ring with the notch in the panel and install the ring in the hole. Install the holder over the ring align it with the notch. Secure the ambient light to the holder by rotating in into position.

040_G.sized.jpg

12. Plug the ambient light harness connector into the light and reinstall the center lower panel.

13. Install the ambient light to the right bracket. Plug the harness connector into the light. Install the right bracket through the hole in the vehicle panel and secure it with an 8mm flange nut.

4_26_2012_7_21_06_PM.sized.jpg

14. Install the left bracket to the instrument panel and secure it with one self-tapping screw. Install the ambient light to the left bracket by rotating it into position. Plug the light connector into the light.

4_26_2012_7_21_59_PM.sized.jpg

065_G.sized.jpg

15. Remove the blower motor cover by removing the two self-tapping screws. Mark the cover as shown below with a white permanent marker and a ruler. Using a Dremel or hacksaw, cut the blower cover. Remove any burrs and reinstall the cover.

042a.sized.jpg

045a.sized.jpg

16. Remove the switch cover from the driver's side dashboard cover and install the light switch.

066_G.sized.jpg

17. Unplug the 5-pin connector (blue) from the VSA switch and plug it into the ambient light harness connector.

18. Plug the ambient light harness (green) into the VSA switch.

19. Plug the ambient light harness (blue) into the ambient light switch.

20. Reinstall the driver's dashboard cover.

21. Check that all wire harnesses are routed properly and all connectors are plugged in.

22. That's it, you're done!
What it looks like installed:

003a.sized.jpg

007a.sized.jpg

I found that the light's were not near bright enough at all. I could not even really see the passenger side so I drilled them, I would recommend this to anyone who wants them a little brighter.

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

Royce that's exactly what I did, and I drilled the same exact size hole; it's waaaaaay brighter doing it this way!

• Staff
I found that the light's were not near bright enough at all. I could not even really see the passenger side so I drilled them, I would recommend this to anyone who wants them a little brighter.
IMG_2695.jpg

Just for reference (and correct me if I'm wrong), the picture above shows the cover with a hole approximately 8-10mm in size, which is much larger than the one I created and will likely produce a lot more light.

That is correct, And My bad OP I didn't read that part LOL. I was so disappointed in the factory light. Who the EFF Designed that lol. Were they wearing NVG'S or something LMAO

That is correct, And My bad OP I didn't read that part LOL. I was so disappointed in the factory light. Who the EFF Designed that lol. Were they wearing NVG'S or something LMAO
But according to Honda's advertisement picture, the factory lights are super duper bright, I mean adverstisement pictures are are always 100% accurate right? :rolleyes:

out of curiosity why do you need to cut the blower motor cover?
The corner of the cover gets in the way of the LED mount and blocks the light from shining through. You'd think Honda's R&D would have compensated for that issue ahead of time without the need to hack off some plastic, but whatever.

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg
Do you mind showing some picks of the increase in brightness?

believe he's still on vacation, but I'm sure he'll see it when he returns.

yeah, seems almost everyone I've seen get the lights had them drilled out/modified to get extra light out of them.

Getting the lights is totally worth it. Whether you have to drill a hole in the lenses is ultimately up to you, but you will be satisfied regardless.

Do you mind showing some picks of the increase in brightness?

Hey so I'm BACK!!!! LOL , As far as a diff in brightness I don't have pics of the incline in light. But I will try to describe it. Without being drilled you could not even see the pass side. And you could not find or depict dropped object's on the floor I.E. say you drop your phone while texting and driving LOL "not recommended" without them being drilled you would have no luck finding it, however after drilling them I would say there was a 10X light increase.

Hope this helps.

Back