3/8 Ratchet
18mm Socket
Long Funnel
Some Type of Pan

Supplies You Will Need
2 Qts of Whatever Manual Trans. Fluid You Would Like to Use
(Optional) Magnetic Drain Plug

*Keep in Mind Having An Aftermarket Intake Makes This Process A Lot Easier*

First you want to find your drain plug and use the 3/8 ratchet to break it loose. Let all of the fluid empty out into your pan. Once all of your old trans. fluid is out, reinstall your drain plug.
8519834200_c51eb26dc6_z.jpg

8518719111_507ecffcea_z.jpg

8518718369_5fbe0b8907_z.jpg

Next you will need to locate your fill plug, if you have an Injen cold air intake, the intake basically circles where the fill plug is. Break this loose with an 18mm socket. Add 2qts of whatever trans. fluid you have using a long funnel. I used Redline manual trans. fluid. Once all 2 qts are added tighten your fill plug back up.
8519831822_3c67af8c0a_z.jpg

8518716941_e3789526ed_z.jpg

8518715457_15abc48ab4_z.jpg

8519830264_516662acee_z.jpg

If you don't have an Aftermarket intake it will take a little longer since you have to take apart your stock intake box, but all together it shouldn't take longer than 15-20mins from beginning to end. If anyone needs any help with this DIY just pm me and ill be more than happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you notice in your first pic there is a 17mm nut with a crush washer above and towards the back of the transmission. That is the filler hole for the tranny. You are supposed to fill up the trans until the oil starts dripping out of that hole.

If you notice in your first pic there is a 17mm nut with a crush washer above and towards the back of the transmission. That is the filler hole for the tranny. You are supposed to fill up the trans until the oil starts dripping out of that hole.

And make sure your car is level!

The DIY is appreciated, but I don't think it applies well to most people since we don't have access to a pit.

Last edited:
yep! I use some pcv pipe and a 90 degree elbow, an adapter and a modified funnel. If access is poor I have an "alternative" method...

FXRob
So is the fill location not the one he points out and puts the funnel in then?

Or do you drain, replace plug, then break that one loose, then fill from the top until it starts to come out around the loose one above and posterior to the plug?

Last edited:
im still confused.... lemme see if I can put it another way... it the fill hole facing the same way as the drain plug?

Yes. Same side on the diff housing. Just higher up. 17mm hex with a sealing washer.
Hey Nix - will be in Rochester tomorrow...last time i was there I got kicked out of a hockey tournament 14 minutes in...

Last edited:
you don't need a pit, its as simple as an oil change.

Yes, it is as easy as an oil change or even a brake job, but it misses the finer points of doing this in one's own garage though.

The car needs to stay level for a proper drain and fill. Access to the bolts and having enough room for a drain pan is not possible without jacking up the car and removing a tire. As far as the finer points, this can be accomplished in a few ways from my own experiences. Either put the car up on four jack stands or lift it up and drain as much as possible and then lower it and get a different catch container for when it is lowered to get a full drain.

What you have provided is a decent basic overview in an ideal situation.

Last edited:
Could someone send me the link as to where I can purchase honda's genuine manual transmission oil for my 2012 honda civic si? I want to follow this thread and do it myself.

how do you like that redline ???

I heard people use GM synchromesh on our 6spd trans ... Is that better ??? I usually use kaaz or motul transfluid

what oil weight are you guys using ???

Last edited:
Looks like Amsoil doesnt suggest using their Synchromesh Oil for our trans because of the factory LSD ...

sooo what the hell do we use then ??? I want a synthetic not a mineral oil

Last edited:
Back