2012 Civic Si Rev Hang - Software Update

Very true! I did not take this into consideration. I am sorry I get quite defensive when it comes to people insulting hondas haha

So I took my car to the dealershop AGAIN and they suppostly checked and there is no such thing as an update.. They told me my car was up to date :confused: Im so mad I print this threads front page and explained to them and they said dont believe everything that is posted on the internet! That got me even more mad! They think everything I say is BS.

So I took my car to the dealershop AGAIN and they suppostly checked and there is no such thing as an update.. They told me my car was up to date :confused: Im so mad I print this threads front page and explained to them and they said dont believe everything that is posted on the internet! That got me even more mad! They think everything I say is BS.
look at the build date on the sticker - on your driver door jam... see what month it was built. You may be able to do an ecu update, but most will say it didn't improve things. You'd have to get flashpro from hondata (with a tune) to make a difference.
^^

I've been noticing that if your build date is after July 2012 you should already be on the latest software. Also the software update referenced in this thread is for Si's only. Not sure if there was an update like that for non Si models.

They have a si. The username was related to their 8th gen.

Yeah thanks guys im going to check the build date today and yep ignored my user name lol thats from my 8th.. I have an Si..

I decided I wanted the Civic SI back in 2006. In the reviews I read about this rev-hang problem. Back then people were saying that Honda was working on a firmware fix that would come out any day. I wanted a red one that had GPS (just like the one in the brochure at every dealer) but I was informed that they only made around 100 such cars (that's 2 per state). I got on a waiting list and finally got one in January of 2007. The firmware fix never materialized.

Now the clutch has burned out after only 54,000 miles and the local dealer charged me $1,600 to fix it. I am confident that having the RPM hang and the car lurching forward every time I let out the clutch is a factor. To help explain the problem to people I made this YouTube video. That way when someone says I don't know how to drive a stick I can have them watch the video and realize that Honda is at fault, not the driver.

In addition I made this other YouTube video explaining another firmware problem that Honda has failed to fix for 6 years now.

I have seen the rumor that Honda wants it to be broken to meet some emission standard. It seems like holding down the throttle might have the opposite effect, at least in terms of CO2. Does anyone know where this rumor started or if there is any truth to it?

I decided I wanted the Civic SI back in 2006. In the reviews I read about this rev-hang problem. Back then people were saying that Honda was working on a firmware fix that would come out any day. I wanted a red one that had GPS (just like the one in the brochure at every dealer) but I was informed that they only made around 100 such cars (that's 2 per state). I got on a waiting list and finally got one in January of 2007. The firmware fix never materialized.

Now the clutch has burned out after only 54,000 miles and the local dealer charged me $1,600 to fix it. I am confident that having the RPM hang and the car lurching forward every time I let out the clutch is a factor. To help explain the problem to people I made this YouTube video. That way when someone says I don't know how to drive a stick I can have them watch the video and realize that Honda is at fault, not the driver.

In addition I made this other YouTube video explaining another firmware problem that Honda has failed to fix for 6 years now.

I have seen the rumor that Honda wants it to be broken to meet some emission standard. It seems like holding down the throttle might have the opposite effect, at least in terms of CO2. Does anyone know where this rumor started or if there is any truth to it?

I'm glad that flashpro is less than half the cost of the new clutch. $1,600? Wow. When mine goes, I will consider taking my out-of-warranty car to a speed shop and having a competition clutch put in.

is it common to burn a clutch that fast on these cars? I am hesitant to go buy a $700 tuner when most people say you have to get it tuned cause it runs to rich.

is it common to burn a clutch that fast on these cars? I am hesitant to go buy a $700 tuner when most people say you have to get it tuned cause it runs to rich.
The flashpro needs tuned based on your mods. The base maps installed are purely starting points. Your altitude, weather conditions, mods etc all play a part in how your car runs versus someone living across the map with the same mods.

I doubt this is responsive to you, but the flashpro gets rid of rev-hang, and if this guy's hypothesis is correct (in effect rev-hang wore out his clutch prematurely), then spending $695 on flashpro when the car/clutch are new makes even more sense than before, when we just wanted to be rid of the annoyance.

Back