2012 Civic Si Rev Hang - Software Update

The flashpro needs tuned based on your mods. The base maps installed are purely starting points. Your altitude, weather conditions, mods etc all play a part in how your car runs versus someone living across the map with the same mods.
so if there is no mods there is no point besides rev hang?

so if there is no mods there is no point besides rev hang?
you may see some slight improvements in hp/tq if you work with VitViper

Can I get flash pro just to get rid of the Rev hang and not change any mapping or anything else till I am ready to mod the car?
yes, but you still need it tuned by VitViper or a dyno shop. The flashpro alone will not remove the rev hang. It needs tuned.

he has some discounts for 9thcivic members -
http://9thcivic.com/forum/forums/flashprotuning-and-vittuned.134/

it will be identical on the 2013. They did not alter the engine etc.

I decided I wanted the Civic SI back in 2006. In the reviews I read about this rev-hang problem. Back then people were saying that Honda was working on a firmware fix that would come out any day. I wanted a red one that had GPS (just like the one in the brochure at every dealer) but I was informed that they only made around 100 such cars (that's 2 per state). I got on a waiting list and finally got one in January of 2007. The firmware fix never materialized.

Now the clutch has burned out after only 54,000 miles and the local dealer charged me $1,600 to fix it. I am confident that having the RPM hang and the car lurching forward every time I let out the clutch is a factor. To help explain the problem to people I made this YouTube video. That way when someone says I don't know how to drive a stick I can have them watch the video and realize that Honda is at fault, not the driver.

In addition I made this other YouTube video explaining another firmware problem that Honda has failed to fix for 6 years now.

I have seen the rumor that Honda wants it to be broken to meet some emission standard. It seems like holding down the throttle might have the opposite effect, at least in terms of CO2. Does anyone know where this rumor started or if there is any truth to it?

Any tips on how to cope with rev hang?

I've had my Si for 6 months and still not used to it, probably hard to change habit from driving a stick for more than a decade.

I figured out how to shift smoothly but requires precise timing. I'd let go of the throttle, making sure my foot is completely off the pedal, then disengage the clutch and change gear. From there with my foot still off the throttle, I'd let out my clutch very slowly until rev starts to drop. I have to let in a little bit of gas, pause for a slip second, then proceed with normal foot action. The hold process takes about 1 - 2 seconds making fast and smooth acceleration nearly impossible. This is dangerous when turning in a highway when everyone is doing 60+ unless I vtec on first. I also tend to piss people off when leaving a traffic light.

But this rev hang issue only happens to me on low gears. I can clutch normally going from 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 without jerking or over reving but I do hear a click when the clutch engages. Does this happen to anyone?

I had a manual 7th gen for 9.5 years and it took all of two weeks to get accustomed to this new transmission. For all of you that cannot seem to get over the rev hang "issue," quit thinking about it so much and just let your body feel it. You are all psyching yourselves out by thinking the transmission is the issue.

Last edited:
A software update is now available for 2012 Honda Civic Si vehicles in the US. You need to take your vehicle to your nearest dealership to have the update done.

"Recommended Program Update X0A050"

The dealership will need to connect their MVCI tester to your car and will provide a trouble code reading "PGM-FI". The software update Program is supposed to greatly help/remove the rev hang.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-3vwk4mnF4

"Rev Hang" is described as the throttle floating/hanging after you've put the clutch in/stopped pushing the gas, and the rpms do not drop.

At this point, the info has not spread around to all dealership staff. Most will have no clue what you are talking about until they hook your car up to the MVCI tester & see the trouble code first hand.

Absolutely right Webby. We only found out because of this post!
Now we have everyone with a manual transmission getting this done at our dealership. Thanks for the update!!!

I decided I wanted the Civic SI back in 2006. In the reviews I read about this rev-hang problem. Back then people were saying that Honda was working on a firmware fix that would come out any day. I wanted a red one that had GPS (just like the one in the brochure at every dealer) but I was informed that they only made around 100 such cars (that's 2 per state). I got on a waiting list and finally got one in January of 2007. The firmware fix never materialized.

Now the clutch has burned out after only 54,000 miles and the local dealer charged me $1,600 to fix it. I am confident that having the RPM hang and the car lurching forward every time I let out the clutch is a factor. To help explain the problem to people I made this YouTube video. That way when someone says I don't know how to drive a stick I can have them watch the video and realize that Honda is at fault, not the driver.

In addition I made this other YouTube video explaining another firmware problem that Honda has failed to fix for 6 years now.

I have seen the rumor that Honda wants it to be broken to meet some emission standard. It seems like holding down the throttle might have the opposite effect, at least in terms of CO2. Does anyone know where this rumor started or if there is any truth to it?

I can honestly say that you can not blame Honda for your burnt clutch. It really is difficult to get a feel for it at first, but once you adjust for it, it's like any other manual transmission. The only downside I see now is with the "Rev Hang", the engine braking takes a couple more seconds to slow you down. If you can't get accustomed to it, the car just may not be suited for you.

I called the dealership this morning to have them hook it up for an update and they were being a**holes about it. "Have you received a letter about this recall?" Um, not a recall. Scheduled to another dealer today; I'll keep everyone updated...

Lucky for me I pass by 2 Honda dealerships on my way to work. ;)

I'm just gonna go to drive down to Vit when I have the cash. The other dealer I went to basically blew me off, and told me that checking for updates would cost $50. Just to plug the damn thing in! $100 if THERE IS an update. Guy told me that unless there is a model-wide ecu recall, they aren't doin a damn thing for free. I figured if there was an update, why not??? And why are updates not covered? It would tide me over until I tune it.

Most users really felt it did next to nothing. It wasn't really an "update" per say, but it was believed to be one when it was initially discovered.

I have the 2013 si and rev hang is there but not nearly as pronounced as some people are stating on here, so is there an update for the 2013 yet? And if so is it even worth it?...

I have the 2013 si and rev hang is there but not nearly as pronounced as some people are stating on here, so is there an update for the 2013 yet? And if so is it even worth it?...
no updates for 2013

Most users really felt it did next to nothing. It wasn't really an "update" per say, but it was believed to be one when it was initially discovered.

That's basically what the tech foreman said, "this update probably won't solve your issue, maybe a little, if at all.

Back