2012 Starter Issue

that^, or see if you can get it jumped and take it to a place like autozone. They do free battery testing to see if the battery is actually bad. If it is, honda will replace the battery under warranty for free. A handful of users have had their batteries swapped.

I agree AutoZone it 1st , if it's ok then I'd say it's something with the auto start , if the batt's bad take to dealer........ Just +-1'ing....
If the batt's good it doesn't make any since that it wouldn't be the auto-start.

I have a 2012 civic as well and have the same issue. Made starting noise but would not start. I had to turn key off then back on for it to start. I took to dealership and they told me as long as its not doing it when they check it they can not do anything about it. They checked battery and engine told me everything checked out fine. they tried to give me a lame excuse that rodents were getting into my engine and biting wires.

I have a 2012 civic as well and have the same issue. Made starting noise but would not start. I had to turn key off then back on for it to start. I took to dealership and they told me as long as its not doing it when they check it they can not do anything about it. They checked battery and engine told me everything checked out fine. they tried to give me a lame excuse that rodents were getting into my engine and biting wires.
Tell'em, if the rodents aren't biting on it at the time they're looking at it, then do something to fix it!

Tell'em, if the rodents aren't biting on it at the time they're looking at it, then do something to fix it!
Yeah their pretty dumb i am thinking of taking it to auto zone maybe they will be more professional about giving me an answer since the dealership doesn't seem to care.

There are some threads about the civic not starting on the 1st crank. So, if you try a 2nd time and it fires up... you're not alone there either. Especially if it's happening at random times, and cannot really be predicted. This was a problem for some people on the 8th generation civic as well.

Wow this thread has gotten some traction since I originally posted it. It only happened for m3 3 times total and none after about 30K miles or so based on what I remember. Up to 100K miles now. (I posted a separate thread about my 100K mile experience)

I have had the starter issue since the first week I bought the car. Happens frequently, always starts on second try. Have not taken it to the dealer because I know it will start just fine and they won't find a problem.. Very frustrating!!

It happened to me once, but that's because I got in and just cranked the key to start. I just make sure to turn it to "ON" for a few seconds then crank it- haven't had the problem since!

New here. First post. Got a 2012 Civic EX-L at the end of May 2012 and it has about 10,500 miles on it at this point. This starter issue has happened to me several times.

I stuck my key in the ignition and turned the car on, but the engine didn't boot. The lights go on in the dash and everything. If I try to re-turn the key again quickly, it will do it again. Eventually, this issue evaporates and my car starts. At first, I thought it might be that my gas tank was not full enough in the winter (although this has happened to me in more mild weather (Cleveland)). I filled my gas tank up and boom, it happens again. I now know it can't be a gas issue. I just want the first car I've ever purchased new to act new :(...

Anyone have anything new with regard to this?

Take to dealership asap i had this issue with my old 8th gen was a faulty alternator so they said they replaced and never had issues for as long as I owned it.

It happen to me once or twice a yr sometime 3 times sine i bought my car in May 07
But it doesnt bother me at all...

Hi. Had this happen to me a few times on my twelve but it started right away the second turn. I don't think it's much to worry about.

It has happened to my car about 5 times. Turn key and nothing....like the battery is completely dead. Turn key again and it starts perfectly. Strange.

Mine happened this morning - 2012 Civic Si, this is maybe the 5th or 6th time in 11 months of ownership. Works exactly as others have stated, get in turn key, nothing - no click or anything, like the clutch is not pushed in. Otherwise, the car has power, lights, radio etc are all fine. Turn off the key and try again and car typically works 2nd try, occasionally it takes a 3rd try. A bit disconcerting but seems to always work with a few tries, so doesn't appear to be ready to leave me stranded.

Definitely sounds like there is some type of a common defect here, but it happens so infrequently that the dealer will never be able to diagnose and repair unless it starts to happen regularly.
Rob

Ugh don't want to revive this thread but I guess I have to. My Civic is about to hit 8000 miles and for the last week or so it's been starting strangely when it's cold. It seems like a really strained start and then it doesn't fire up to a high RPM that I'm used to. I commute 11 miles each way to work so it's not a short trip thing... Here's a video! Any thoughts?

Ugh don't want to revive this thread but I guess I have to. My Civic is about to hit 8000 miles and for the last week or so it's been starting strangely when it's cold. It seems like a really strained start and then it doesn't fire up to a high RPM that I'm used to. I commute 11 miles each way to work so it's not a short trip thing... Here's a video! Any thoughts?
This reminds me of day 2 with my 2012: hard, sluggish starts. Turned out that my car sat for 2 months on the lot without being touched and the battery had at least 2 bad cells (according to the Honda battery tester). New battery dropped in 15 mins later and it starts right up and purrs like a cat now.

Last edited:
Back