2013 9thcivic.com Tail of The Dragon II - Chat, Pics, and Videos thread

STATE TROOPERS MOUNT MOTORCYCLES FOR ENFORCEMENT ON "THE DRAGON"
By Don Jacobs
Updated Tuesday, September 10, 2013

State troopers on motorcycles will saturate U.S. Highway 129, especially the section called “The Dragon” in the upcoming weekend because of two events expected to bring a deluge of riders to the area.

Motorcycle riding troopers from Tennessee Highway Patrols districts in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Cookeville and Fall Branch will converge on the federal highway during Sept. 13-15, according to the state Department of Safety and Homeland Security.

A $71,116.79 grant from the Governor’s Highway Safety Office, which covers a period from Oct. 1, 2012, to Sept. 30, 2013, will pay overtime funds to the motorcycle officers

The decision to saturate “The Dragon” with motorcycle officers was prompted by two events this weekend expected to bring heavy motorcycle traffic to the challenging road. In Maggie Valley, N.C., the “Thunder in the Smokies” event will be under way and in Pigeon Forge the “Fall Rod Run” will be held.

The Dragon is an 11-mile section of U.S. Highway 129 that attracts motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world because of its 318 curves. According to the state, one motorcyclist has died so far this year on U.S. Highway 129.

Officials said the state troopers will especially be alert for aggressive and reckless driving, speeding, impaired driving and seat belt use for four-wheel vehicles. Authorities expect to have a sobriety checkpoint established on U.S. Highway 129 on Saturday.

More details as they develop online and in Wednesday’s News Sentinel.

http://m.knoxnews.com/news/2013/sep/10/state-troopers-mount-motorcycles-for-enforcement/
Why is the dept of homeland security envolved in policing a highway for a car event? It makes me sick. wish I were going but stay safe guys don't give the police any reasons to violate your rights. Have fun and stay safe!

Why is the dept of homeland security envolved in policing a highway for a car event? It makes me sick. wish I were going but stay safe guys don't give the police any reasons to violate your rights. Have fun and stay safe!
it's all one thing in the state. Read it as one entity....

The Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security’s (www.TN.Gov/safety) mission is to ensure that our state is a safe, secure place in which to live, work and travel; enforce the law with integrity; and provide customer-focused services professionally and efficiently.

Glad you all made it. I'm about to eat dinner.. Thought it would have been ready for me/us already :-/ leaving after we are done eating.

I texted you Jason but figured you wouldn't get it.

Glad you all made it. I'm about to eat dinner.. Thought it would have been ready for me/us already :-/ leaving after we are done eating.

I texted you Jason but figured you wouldn't get it.

There's no service here brooo...

sahu8yse.jpg

I spy a black corvette...

Back