2013 Civic "Premium Audio System" Navigation Stereo Upgrade

I checked the specs. The JX series do not list compatibility with diff balanced inputs. The JL XDs do. You are running your 500/1 after the factory amp using the subwoofer harness in the trunk. That is completely different than removing the factory amp and using the diff balanced outputs directly from the head unit.
Gotcha. I was looking at the HD900/5 but couldnt justify spending $1300 for an amp when 2 would be a 1/3 of the cost. In the future i may look into upgrading but for now this should be enough of an improvement to satisfy my ears

I think the lc6i is more geared for boosting and tweaking from a powered source. Like using hi level inputs on an aftermarket amp. I'm no expert. I'm gonna go with the deq-8 from ppi. You tap in the preamp wiring from the radio and you plug in your laptop and you got 31 band eq plus parametric I think. I'm not at a computer right now so I can't get all the correct numbers and features for you. But is has outputs to the amps you do use and you can really tweak your system. Plus output voltage is like 4-8 volts per channel so you don't need much gain on your amps. There are other dsp units out there. I think Rockford Fosgate makes one to that's suppose to be awesome but too rich for my budget. This is all info pulled from the top of my head so you might wanna do some research on it to see if it's more to your liking.

I think the lc6i is more geared for boosting and tweaking from a powered source. Like using hi level inputs on an aftermarket amp. I'm no expert. I'm gonna go with the deq-8 from ppi. You tap in the preamp wiring from the radio and you plug in your laptop and you got 31 band eq plus parametric I think. I'm not at a computer right now so I can't get all the correct numbers and features for you. But is has outputs to the amps you do use and you can really tweak your system. Plus output voltage is like 4-8 volts per channel so you don't need much gain on your amps. There are other dsp units out there. I think Rockford Fosgate makes one to that's suppose to be awesome but too rich for my budget. This is all info pulled from the top of my head so you might wanna do some research on it to see if it's more to your liking.
I know JL makes the clean sweep dsp too. There is no shortage of options for improving factory sound quality but I havent looked too far into this side of aftermarket audio. I might have to reconsider jumping to the HD900/5 if things dont work out with the 2 JX amps post stock amp. Not ideal, but should be an improvement which is all I'm looking for at the moment.

I was advised to go with Kickers Sum8. It is designed to be used post factory amp. I am in the process of buying a house but as soon as I'm settled it will get installed and I will post results.

ok I read this entire forum. Although I'm a MECP Silver Level certified installer and did so for 5 years still have a few questions. All the installs I have done never involved utilizing any part of the factory system in the way I want to with mine. So I only want to add a sub amp to power an after market sub. I'm an old school guy so my amp is an Infinity 1211a Reference and it doesn't utilize speaker level inputs. I have plenty of LOC's laying around. So here are my concerns: I want to utilize the factory subwoofer control, Want a full/flat frequency response to allow the amp do the filtering, since I'm pretty sure I have to use an LOC, am I SOL with having pre-filtered bass or can I hook up a LOC to wiring before the factory amp. Any input/knowledge would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
First question I have is what kind of factory system came with your car? Off the bat I can tell you that you wont get full range AND use the sub controls from your factory unit.

Whoops I probably should've mentioned that huh? LOL I have the 2012 Si non Nav system. The only frequencies I really care about for the sub is 80hz and below so no real need for full range. My sub is and box is slot ported for 35hz sweet spot.

Whoops I probably should've mentioned that huh? LOL I have the 2012 Si non Nav system. The only frequencies I really care about for the sub is 80hz and below so no real need for full range. My sub is and box is slot ported for 35hz sweet spot.

Lol, good news is that you will get at least 300hz from the sub preamp, at least thats what I heard until I adjusted the crossover to 100. You can do what I did, make a rca preamp from the hardness in the back of your imid. I recall getting 2.5v+/- 0.5v from the preamp. connect that to the amp and run the rest. Only hard part is making the harness. It took me a bit longer because I ran wires to have my amp to be tucked under my seat and my sub hidden.

Lol, good news is that you will get at least 300hz from the sub preamp, at least thats what I heard until I adjusted the crossover to 100. You can do what I did, make a rca preamp from the hardness in the back of your imid. I recall getting 2.5v+/- 0.5v from the preamp. connect that to the amp and run the rest. Only hard part is making the harness. It took me a bit longer because I ran wires to have my amp to be tucked under my seat and my sub hidden.

Well, all I really care about is getting 80hz all the way down to at least 25hz or 20hz. So you mean to wire the LOC to the preamp signal? I don't think I can just cut and extend the pre amp wires and add rca ends on it to work on my amp. It is a higher end Infinity but it's old school. Like 2004 Old School. LOL Thanks for the help btw. It's just been a min since I last did install and have a tendency to over think things.

You can add the loc to the sub end but you'll be amplifying it up and down in wave which will lose sound quality. But it will also be much easier toninstall

I called my old work and one of the guys said that they use Audio Control LC2I units to bring back the lost sound. You said "make a rca preamp from the hardness in the back of your imid". So basically the signal before the factory amp and take both + and - sub signals and turn it into an rca signal.?. I thought I would need an amp designed to accept the balance distribution signal? Sorry so many questions. Ease or toughness of install isn't a factor. I just never have never dealt with this type of signal before.

Are you serious!?! No wonder I got confused. 2.5V is what you said right? That's better than most entry level and mid grade Alpine stereos after 2005. So it's right on the back of the factory head unit right?

Me and bulky measured and verified the preamp. It only makes sense since the HU goes to a factory amp. Note that this is only for premium systems (7 speakers factory cars)

Back