2013 Honda Civic Redesign Info Discussed

Sales dont matter cause Camry is #1 selling sedan and we all know how exciting and well-appointed it is.:shady: If profit is only Honda's goal then why not make Civic as a POS Corolla.
Honda need to realize that this is not 00s anymore 'cause competition is now more ahead, both in terms of technology and reliability. Honda used to be class leading, not to trail behind the competition.
9th Civic is only good for sheeps, but enthusiasts still prefer the 8th gen.
I really hope they dont do anything stupid with ILX, RDX(no SHAWD lol), new RL etc.

Civic is a good amount of tech IMO. Im loving my '12 si sedan, bought it with navi. The navi is HDD now not CD like the 8thgen, it has Btooth and btooth audio streaming, usb for ipod. what else would you want? For the money the si was worth it. the GTI loaded with with navi costs almost $29k, Media plays it out as a POS but it really comes down to the consumer itself on whether to buy the car. like webby stated sales are doing good right now, which says a lot. people will still by civics regardless of what the media says. Yea the si only has 200hp, but it still is a fun car to drive, hp isn't everything. I owned a em1 after i totaled my 8th and boy did i miss the luxury of the 8th. Now with the 9th it's even nicer. but everyone has their on opinions and views. As for the refresh i dont think the changes will be too drastic. new front and rear bumper, interior work(mostly on the non-si models)

Civic is a good amount of tech IMO. Im loving my '12 si sedan, bought it with navi. The navi is HDD now not CD like the 8thgen, it has Btooth and btooth audio streaming, usb for ipod. what else would you want? For the money the si was worth it. the GTI loaded with with navi costs almost $29k, Media plays it out as a POS but it really comes down to the consumer itself on whether to buy the car. like webby stated sales are doing good right now, which says a lot. people will still by civics regardless of what the media says. Yea the si only has 200hp, but it still is a fun car to drive, hp isn't everything. I owned a em1 after i totaled my 8th and boy did i miss the luxury of the 8th. Now with the 9th it's even nicer. but everyone has their on opinions and views. As for the refresh i dont think the changes will be too drastic. new front and rear bumper, interior work(mostly on the non-si models)

I test drove 8 & 9 back to back and felt like 9 is just a step backward. It just felt soft in everything. All I care about Si is better suspension tuning and a little bit more power. MS3, Focus ST etc now offers more than 240hp. And GPS options are rip-off anyway so I dont care anyway.
I feel like 9th Civic and new Jetta are totally same cars. Both manufactures cut corners in a very drastic way.

Btw, I was very close to buy Si last month but I decided to wait when I heard that Honda is gonna improve 9th Civic for next year.

So I take it you'd look for an 8th to buy if they make no changes to the 9th SI model?

I test drove 8 & 9 back to back and felt like 9 is just a step backward. It just felt soft in everything. All I care about Si is better suspension tuning and a little bit more power. MS3, Focus ST etc now offers more than 240hp. And GPS options are rip-off anyway so I dont care anyway.
I feel like 9th Civic and new Jetta are totally same cars. Both manufactures cut corners in a very drastic way.

Btw, I was very close to buy Si last month but I decided to wait when I heard that Honda is gonna improve 9th Civic for next year.
my sister has an '11 Jetta and that thing is soo cheap. the 5 cyl purrs though and exterior looks nice.

Let's look at the last 2 civic updates .. (aka the mid-cycle refresh)

2001 civic coupe
2001_honda_civic_coupe.jpg

2004 refresh below (bumper/grill change)
Honda_Civic_coupe_002.sized.jpg

rear comparison
IMG_9656.sized.jpg

rear
LeftRear.jpg

8th gens
=====

003_0003.jpg

2009 refresh (grill/bumper)

honda_civic_coupe_dx.sized.jpg

rear

006_0006.jpg

Civic_coupe_rear.jpg

sedans got a silver piece of flair by the key slot

Honda_Civic_Sedan_2009_800x600_wallpaper_09.jpg

compared to the 2006 sedan below
Honda_Civic_Sedan_2006_800x600_wallpaper_1d.jpg

9th generation -
gal_lg3.jpg

gal_lg5.jpg

discuss

Sales dont matter cause Camry is #1 selling sedan and we all know how exciting and well-appointed it is.:shady: If profit is only Honda's goal then why not make Civic as a POS Corolla.
Honda need to realize that this is not 00s anymore 'cause competition is now more ahead, both in terms of technology and reliability. Honda used to be class leading, not to trail behind the competition.
9th Civic is only good for sheeps, but enthusiasts still prefer the 8th gen.
I really hope they dont do anything stupid with ILX, RDX(no SHAWD lol), new RL etc.

The Camry is actually pretty well appointed and is a well rounded vehicle, the 2012 redesign building off of the previous generation. People like to use the Camry as an escape goat in terms of "Look at the Camry, it's best selling but it's not this, this or this". Reviews for the Camry have been pretty good too, especially the Hybrid.

Now about the Civic, I really don't understand why people make the 2012 out to be the plague. Is it class leading? No. Is it terrible? Not in the least bit. How many other cars in the compact car class have a normal gas version, hybrid, natural gas, sporty trim and a cheaper eco-based version and two body styles? Which other car in the class was as badly murdered in the press, but still managed to beat the supposedly "best thing since sliced bread"all new Elantra and Focus by almost 40k+ units for the whole year on top of production problems? It was the 3RD BEST SELLING COMPACT CAR LAST YEAR.

What enthusiasts need to realize is that everyone isn't an enthusiast. Period. The 9th gen Civic is in no way only for sheeps. There is no best car for everyone, hence there are tons of cars on the market for people to buy. You feel the 8th gen is good, someone else felt the 9th gen is good. When the 8th gen was out, someone could've not liked the whole Civic lineup then and said they wanted a Focus or Cobalt or Corolla or whatever. Point is, there is no one good anything for anybody. Everyone likes something different. No one is wrong for that.

Lastly, Honda has already stated, numerous times, how competition has narrowed the gap and gotten a lot better. No one is saying they're resting on name anymore, hence a revised Civic is being rushed. Had they been resting on name, we would have no new redesign being rushed. And who has passed Honda in terms of reliability? And the response should not start with an H or K. And that's just the honest truth.....

And after seeing the small grille changes they made to the Civic over the years or adding chrome or whatever, I really don't see a problem with them doing this to the 2013 one.....plus the changes make the Civic look more refined on each redesign.....especially the 8th gen model in later years. The current Civic may not be the most adventurous design, but it's got a maturity to it now and a more cohesive look, especially the coupe.

The Camry is actually pretty well appointed and is a well rounded vehicle, the 2012 redesign building off of the previous generation. People like to use the Camry as an escape goat in terms of "Look at the Camry, it's best selling but it's not this, this or this". Reviews for the Camry have been pretty good too, especially the Hybrid.

Now about the Civic, I really don't understand why people make the 2012 out to be the plague. Is it class leading? No. Is it terrible? Not in the least bit. How many other cars in the compact car class have a normal gas version, hybrid, natural gas, sporty trim and a cheaper eco-based version and two body styles? Which other car in the class was as badly murdered in the press, but still managed to beat the supposedly "best thing since sliced bread"all new Elantra and Focus by almost 40k+ units for the whole year on top of production problems? It was the 3RD BEST SELLING COMPACT CAR LAST YEAR.

What enthusiasts need to realize is that everyone isn't an enthusiast. Period. The 9th gen Civic is in no way only for sheeps. There is no best car for everyone, hence there are tons of cars on the market for people to buy. You feel the 8th gen is good, someone else felt the 9th gen is good. When the 8th gen was out, someone could've not liked the whole Civic lineup then and said they wanted a Focus or Cobalt or Corolla or whatever. Point is, there is no one good anything for anybody. Everyone likes something different. No one is wrong for that.

Lastly, Honda has already stated, numerous times, how competition has narrowed the gap and gotten a lot better. No one is saying they're resting on name anymore, hence a revised Civic is being rushed. Had they been resting on name, we would have no new redesign being rushed. And who has passed Honda in terms of reliability? And the response should not start with an H or K. And that's just the honest truth.....

I agree with your points but still I wouldn't rank 9thCivic above Focus, Mazda3 and 8thCivic. 9thCivic and Jetta are at the same level IMO.
I am pissed because Honda made it more ugly, put cheap materials, same engine and 5spd auto. Heck even the some subcompacts now offers 6spds man & auto.
There are other better options out there but I still wouldn't buy them over Civic, Mazda3 only comes close tho.
Btw, I applaud Honda to accept that they messed up the 9th and will work on it to make it better. And I am pretty sure if Honda put Earth Dream Tech in 13Civic, it can be class leading again.

@ last 2 Civic update post.

Looks like '13Civic will have black mesh grill and no chrome bar.

gal_lg3.jpg

black mesh is already present on the 2012 coupe. They switched things up

I agree with your points but still I wouldn't rank 9thCivic above Focus, Mazda3 and 8thCivic. 9thCivic and Jetta are at the same level IMO.
I am pissed because Honda made it more ugly, put cheap materials, same engine and 5spd auto. Heck even the some subcompacts now offers 6spds man & auto.
There are other better options out there but I still wouldn't buy them over Civic, Mazda3 only comes close tho.
Btw, I applaud Honda to accept that they messed up the 9th and will work on it to make it better. And I am pretty sure if Honda put Earth Dream Tech in 13Civic, it can be class leading again.

More ugly in reference to styling is a subjective matter. We can't use it in the argument that the car is bad, honestly. Something objective, like the fact that the 9th gen Civic is quieter, bigger inside, lighter and gets better gas mileage (with the use of an old 5 speed) than the 8th gen are reasons to say bad or good IMO. And with the 5 speed, the Civic still gets good FE numbers all while having a smooth unit and numbers others in the class could only wish for, with newer technology at that.

The Jetta, like the Civic, was panned by the press, but Jetta sales say otherwise. It's now a legitimate player in the compact segment when it comes to sales and is now a top 5 seller. It sold more than the new Focus did last year and was down about 10k units from the all new Elantra, both cars that got numerous amounts of praise. That says a lot. Yes, materials are cheaper inside and some features on the car are questionable and cheapened on purpose, but the overall product is far from bad. Having spent time in the new Jetta, it's a spacious compact car with the classic solid, bank vault German-car feel (a feeling no other cars can match) that taken as a whole is pretty good. Plus, like Civic again, there is one for everyone with two body styles, mild to wild and an excellent diesel version.

So let's pray the new Civic is improved and class leading again with the best injection balance of sport enthusiasts want and the bland for everyone else. Honda is a smart company that does stuff in their own time. I know they will get it. Let's have some faith in this brand :)

Don't be so sure of the under 40 mpg for the Si.
Our car sticker EPA Estimate lists the standard 22-31, 25 combined and a range of 18-26 city, 25-37 highway.
The February 2012 Consumer Reports which recommends the Si, indicates in their tests they got 20 city, 39 highway, 29 combined!
The one we drove on the 23rd of December, with 24 miles on it, got 35.7 in town before my lead-footed Sweet Adeline wife drove it down to 32!
Our Dyno Blue Pearl II sedan (picked up on the 6th of January) is averaging 29.8 in town with the temperature in the Berkshire's below freezing.

Not to dismiss the dash reading, but it has been known to be quite inaccurate. To the point of being 15% or more off. A dash reading of 35mpg can literally be over 5mpg higher than what the car actually is getting. The true reading is by resetting your miles on a full tank of gas, and dividing it by the # of gallons you put in at the pump.

So if you drive 350 miles on 10 gallons, you'd be getting 35mpg. Your dash may report you're getting 40mpg or whatever.

Next time you fill up, reset your trip meter and see what kind of numbers you get. Granted it will change from tank to tank based on driving habits, brand of gas, weather / temperatures, tire pressure, amount of city driving, etc etc etc etc

You're so right about the variation. Our (now) "beater" '98 Civic Ex 5 speed (144,000+ miles) per tank average has ranged from a low of 29.5mpg (all in-town, Mobile, Al., 100+ degrees = full AC) to 41.7mpg (upper Maryland thru the Poconos to Cheshire with some AC (@ 64-74 mph via speed control). This is, as you suggest, the hand calculated actual. Our '98's overall mpg average is 35.7 which is above the EPA highway number for the model. Being an optimist and casual driver, I expect the Si average will beat the EPA highway number. Time will tell. As it's 7 below and snow covered roads in the Berkshires, it'll be several weeks before we burn through the first tank of 87 octane, which the manual says is fine to use (what's 10-15 horses between friends?). I'll let you know.
And by the way, Blue Ambient Lighting looks great. Red isn't available as of the 10 of January - but Blue is, for the Sedan.

winter gas will also affect mileage versus other times of the year. The winter additives in the gas and lower temperatures cause a loss in mpg. MPG also increases once you've put a few thousand miles on the car.

Back