2013+ Hybrid Grill Swap (Installed and Paint Matched)

What should I do:

• Plasti Dip: Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paint: Black

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeffuhnator

Hayward
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
Hey everyone, as some of you might know, I'm a broke college student. :pout:. So I've always admired the front grills on the 2013+ civic hybrids and planned on swapping out my regular grill out for that one. However, its about $450 for all the parts that make up the hybrid grill. I've looked at junkyards now and then and online from craigslist to ebay. Luckily, I found one for $100 and got it in a heart beat.

Take note that I DID look at the condition of the item and examined the photos provided, it's in pretty roughed up shape. Some clips broken (everything still holds on tight). Other then that, it's all battle scars and scratches. I'll be replacing only the Honda emblem.

I'm in the process of restoring the chrome pieces by repainting it. (Waiting a while for things to dry before clear coat). However, I wanted to know the communities opinion of what I should do this part (highlighted in red) :

I would take it to a professional, but I just recently spent some spare change on painting sideskirts/etc.

$_57-3.JPG

Plasti dip it black or paint it black ooooorrrrr color match it to my vehicle?

Example of a 2012 civic grill:
upload_2014-12-17_23-22-28.png

I'll be updating with pictures here. This is my first time actually painting besides plastidip. So my work might now be really low quality.

Last edited:
Heres a picture I found off of google images, since I'm repainting the chrome pieces, there won't be a tint of blue on the middle chrome piece any longer.
upload_2014-12-17_23-31-58.png

A picture of my car:
IMG_0155.JPG

Last edited:
Neat idea. I vote color match cause if you don't like it you can always plasti-dip it after!

EDIT: Keep an eye on this site if you are ever looking for other project parts. They rarely have hybrids but if you need a cheap interior piece or random mechanical bit these guys have been pretty easy to deal with. Shipping was super reasonable too.

http://www.ahparts.com/cars-list.php?Make=Honda&Model=CIVIC

Plastidip it first since its easy to do and reverse. Paint later as it will be more labor and more monies!

Chrome pieces have clear coats drying at the moment. They look gray with no hint of reflectiveness. So I have a question for those paint experts. I sanded it down, sprayed primer and sanded once more. Then, base coat of duplicolor universal chrome (was i supposed to sand down base coat? Because I did not) . Then I finally applied clear coat. (Clear coat is supposed to be sanded and applied with something like Meguiare's ultimate compound, correct? I have not done so yet)

The bottom piece will be plasti dipped black for sure.

Top piece is sanded with bondo/filler and is waiting to get some layers of primer applied soon. (Also still waiting for votes.)
IMG_0374.jpg

Turns out I ****** up big time. You're not supposed to use clear coat on chrome. :pat:

What happens when you clear over chrome? Finish gets a textured appearance?

What happens when you clear over chrome? Finish gets a textured appearance?
I guess you can say that, I don't know much bout painting. It dulls out the chrome making it gray. Sanding down the clear coat and buffing it out with something like ultimate compound still wouldn't and thing but remove the orange peel.

But it seems I can paint over clear coat as long as i sand it. SO another few layers of chrome again and nothing else on top of that

Paint match it is and is finally done. Pictures will be posted soon. The chrome pieces will just be bought from bkhonda. I can't seem to work with chrome, I'll be ordering them at the end of this week along with the honda "H" emblem. The emblem on the regular grill is bigger than the one for the hybrid grill.

It's not bad, but I wonder what it'd look like with the one chrome looking piece being black. Instead of having two chrome/silverish looking pieces running so close to each other? The piece that runs directly under the "h" emblem.

It's not bad, but I wonder what it'd look like with the one chrome looking piece being black. Instead of having two chrome/silverish looking pieces running so close to each other? The piece that runs directly under the "h" emblem.
A little photoshopping:
IMG_8196.jpg

Back