2013 upgrades to 2012 EX Sedan

Alex McDonough

I have a 2012 EX sedan and it is time to replace bearings, struts etc at 110k. I commute 75 miles a day in the midwest and don't need performance but would appreciate a smoother, quieter commute. I am also looking at using the larger 13 brakes if I don't need to replace the knuckles.

I would like to inquire to the group on whether using 2013 parts in the 2012 would be better for Noise, Vibration, and Harshness and whether doing so would be overwhelmingly difficult to accomplish.

I've never seen anyone attempt any of that, but I would wager it would not make things more quiet/smoother in terms or ride. Journalist complained that the 2012 was too soft and not responsive enough in terms of handling, so honda revamped it for 2013 to make it more responsive/stiffer. Those quieter cabin was due to thicker glass and more soundproofing in areas. You could achieve some of that by using products like dynamat. I know some have lined areas up by the firewall, their entire trucks, and various door panels/floor to reduce noise.

Chassis

Under the skin, the 2013 Civic has had significant alterations aimed at enhancing handling refinement and noise isolation. A reworked Electronic Power Steering (EPS) setup reduces friction and provides a quicker ratio, while stiffer wheels, stiffer front springs and a thicker front stabilizer bar with new Teflon-lined mounting bushings are designed for more fluid suspension action and a flatter, more responsive cornering attitude.

The rear suspension also receives a thicker stabilizer bar, increased spring rate, new Teflon-lined stabilizer-bar bushings, and reworked suspension bushings to increase both bump- and roll-motion stiffness. With its retuned MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension, handling linearity, responsiveness and overall vehicle composure have been increased, while at the same time improving ride quality and the characteristic Honda fun-to-drive feel. For 2013, front brake-rotor diameter on automatic-equipped Civic LX, EX and EX-L Sedans and Coupes jumps 20 mm from 262 to 282 mm for improved stopping performance.

A large range of new noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) countermeasures work together to reduce road, engine and wind noise in the 2013 Civic's interior. This includes a stiffer front subframe, new thicker windshield and front door glass, and additional soundproofing material in the dash, floor, doors, and rear tray to help reduce unwanted road noise, and provide a more serene ride and quieter cabin.

Back