2014 lx radio swap for 2014 ex touch screen

raf82

Is it possible to change the radio on the civic lx for the touch screen radio of an ex? Will it be plug and play, or will it be difficult? I understand I would have to get a dash kit. Would I also need wiring harness? I would like to keep the steering wheel controls. And if so, is this a good idea or should I just go with an aftermarket unit? My goal is to have gps. I was going to use the cable that honda sells and download the app. And also to add head rest monitors. To play movies for kids.

I appreciate all input. I am new to the site and just bought the civic. Been a fan of the car for years and just was able to get my first one. I've looked around a bit, but did not see any thing that resembled my question.

The unit itself is costly. I don't know what all is involved with wiring, but the msrp is listed below.

Part #: 39100-TR6-A51
  • List Price: $2,389.27

Yeah, I found a used one for about $500. Just wanted to check if it would be worth doing. Or just getting an aftermarket pioneer. I've asked around and got mixed reactions. Some think it will be easy plug and play. Others think it will be very difficult. Taking seats and carpet out to run wires from front to back. I think they said for antenna. I would not be doing the install my self and did not want to pay for 10 hours of labor. That's what I was quoted.

You'd just be better off getting a pioneer avic 6000 or something like that. Buy the install kit and do it yourself. I installed one on my STI in less than 2 hours. I'm not sure how aftermarket radios work with the iMid system though.

I definitely agree with going with an aftermarket touchscreen head unit. It's cheaper plus you can easily swap it out to another car when you get one. You do lose some iMid functionality such as the song displaying on the iMid but I feel the loss is negligible when your music is showing on your head unit.

You have an LX, so just go aftermarket all the way. The DisplayAudio stereo is complete crap and it would be very difficult to wire it to your LX which had the basic stereo. The wiring diagrams are likely not the same. The biggest complaint with the DisplayAudio stereo is lag time between button presses, and the lack of physical buttons requiring you to take your eyes of the road every time you want to use the stereo. If you want head rest monitors for DVDs, then Honda does not offer that option anyway. You have to go aftermarket for that. That is a waste. Just give them an iPad or Tablet device to watch movies on with headphones.

I actually hav a 2013 civic lx and just put a 2014 ex radio in my car . I just need to modify the camera to pop up on the screen Instead of the imid . The Bluetooth answer hang up and voice dose not work guessing because of the separate Bluetooth module the lx has compared to the ex which is all built into the radio . But regular steering wheel controls work fine . Bluetooth works great audio and callls .

I actually hav a 2013 civic lx and just put a 2014 ex radio in my car . I just need to modify the camera to pop up on the screen Instead of the imid . The Bluetooth answer hang up and voice dose not work guessing because of the separate Bluetooth module the lx has compared to the ex which is all built into the radio . But regular steering wheel controls work fine . Bluetooth works great audio and callls .
Hi Alex Stein, can you tell me how you did your install? I have a '15 coupe lx and I'm trying to figure out how to install a stock si touch screen in my car. I'm about to give it up.

Waiting for a reply as well! I am about to do the same in my car. Going from a LX radio to an EX non premium Audio touch screen. After comparing the pin outs for both systems, it looks mostly plug and play. Once i get my unit in and actually do the install, ill post a write up with pictures for everyone curious!

Back