2014 si Coolant Block and Radiator Drain!!

mikem350

Want to do a coolant flush at 60K miles. Can see the rad drain plug, but CANNOT fit my hand down there. It is NOT the same as a regular civic! All my searches show non si cars. I could siphon out the recovery bottle.

Also, where is the block drain (if the 2014 has one)???

TIA, Mike

go on a honda parts website like collegehillshonda.com and look at the engine block diagram. it should show where the the block drain plug is located. It would probably be the same plug that you would remove to install an engine block heater.

I just jack mine up a little bit since my car is slammed. And you can access it easily from there.

If you jack up the front of a honda si 2013 can you drain fluid out without taking the cover off? I wouldn't want to take the cover off unless I have too.:brock: I want to do a coolant change too. And how much fluid:domokundance: will drain out?:eekdancesmiley::bananasplit::bananapop:

No!! You don't have to pull that plastic off at least I did not pull it off you just got to be careful to not spill it all over the place. And come to think of it the only reason I jacked my car was to only get the pan underneath.

I don't like working too hard, just as little as possible Like Dr smith in Lost in Space.:bricks:

I started this post for my 2014 si. Your engine/front configuration might be different. From the above info, for my car, the splash shield has to be removed to get at the rad drain.
The block drain is above or near the oil filter.

Thanks for all the info:thumbsup:

Last edited:
  • It s likely the same 2012-2015 si are the same model. Maybe the engine block drain is easier to get to than the radiator drain plug. This is the first time that I am trying to change the coolant. I changed the tranny fluid and that wasn't too bad and the oil change was easy.:corngrin:

In my personal opinion, I don't see a need to drain the block unless your coolant is in horrible condition. The Honda type2 is good for 100,000 miles and if you change it every 2 years or 30,000 miles it should be more than ok.

I've never done the block on any car I've owned. I just did the radiator drain plug, and it honestly has never really looked bad.

Not rushing to change the coolant-just a maintenance thing that should be done and if you do it yourself cheap. I tend to think my custom mixture of Zerox g-5 anti freeze is the best or original which cost more, 55-45 helps a little bit of extra cooling,:guitar::tumbleweed: I am wrong 50/50 mix is the best goes down to -20 which might not be enough in Maine. This Zerox g-5 does not eat gaskets. There is another type of zerox that is made just for jap cars-it cost a little more even though Zerox g-5 might be almost the same stuff. honda oem anti -freeze is good for 5yrs and 60,000 miles I think-going to look that up. I did look up Honda anti-freeze. My car is 6yrs old with 18,800 miles. It is due for a coolant change. Zerex Asian blue is what to use . But Zerex G-5 might actually be the same in full concentration. So far Zerex Jap Blue- I only see in 50/50. Honda OEM is very close in price.

Last edited:
Back