2015 Civic whine when accelerating.

Philipgonzales3

My fiancee has a 2015 Civic base model (DX?) With 37K miles. She was complaining that the car was making a noise. Took it for a drive and noticed the noise also. Seems to correlate with pressing the accelerator. Do not hear it while idle. Sounds like a whining noise to me. We opted not to go for the factory supercharger option so it's not that (me trying to be funny).

To me it sounds exactly like this when he is on the gas. This is not a video of my car but when I pulled it up I thought it sounded the exact same.
View: https://youtu.be/MRd682iVhQ8

It does it while in park or moving. Didn't try neutral yet. Doesn't look like our cars have power steering pumps.

Initial thoughts are it may be the tensioner pulley, idler pulley, or the belt. It took ages to find a diagram that lists the part numbers for both the tensioner and idler pulley. Anyone know why both exist on this car?

Does this sound like I am on the right track? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Did you check your power steering fluid? The person from the video said it was a power steering fluid leak. Others replied the same thing. They added fluid and the noise went away.

Did you check your power steering fluid? The person from the video said it was a power steering fluid leak. Others replied the same thing. They added fluid and the noise went away.

I tried, but the car does not seem to have a power steering pump. I believe it has electronic steering control or whatever it's called. There is no fluid reservoir from what I can see.

Well call me crazy. The 8th gen r18 engines had a power steering reservoir. I didn’t realize they switched in the 9th gen r18’s till today. You don’t have any dash warning lights I take it?

Hopefully it’s not coming from your tranny.

Belt whine, maybe somethings going out like ur alt or something else that has a spinning component. Just throwing things out there but the tranny one would be the worst.

Last edited:
just remembered this thread
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/whine-noise-from-belt-area.15729/

he was never able to figure his out, but his was also in the SI. He did swap some parts, but there could be some helpful videos/tests you can check on yours from that thread.

I'm pretty confident that it's the tensioner pulley. This guy even says it sounds like a failed power steering pump or whatever.

View: https://youtu.be/3td6K3EyDDQ

I heard that I can run the car without the belt to test. Anyone know if that's true?

yeah the other thread I linked above mentioned that. He took his belt off to test things like his idler pulley and whatnot.

The lines on it do look like they’re not even straight. It looks like the belt is moving back and forth across the pulley.

The lines on it do look like they’re not even straight. It looks like the belt is moving back and forth across the pulley.

I put a new belt on since I took the belt off to test anyway. The new belt is showing some slight fraying on the ends. You think replacing the whole tensioner and idler pulley will do the trick? Since we put the new belt on the noise queited down a bit. My fiancee who is the main driver of the car said she thinks the noise is gone. She is the one that noticed the noise. I don't think it's totally gone though.

The belt and pulley moving the way it goes in the video is likely the issue. I bet the new belt will end up wearing faster the way the pulley is moving. I would replace it and I bet it’ll get even quieter.

The belt and pulley moving the way it goes in the video is likely the issue. I bet the new belt will end up wearing faster the way the pulley is moving. I would replace it and I bet it’ll get even quieter.

Ok cool. Sounds like a plan. I will report back after replacing the tensioner and idler pulley. Wish me luck!

New tensioner assembly (with new idler pulley) and new idler pulley and problem is the same or worse. Any ideas? I may end up going to the dealer. I know I bought some kind of extended bumper to bumper warranty but I'm thinking it expired already but now I'm second guessing whether it is or not.

View: https://youtu.be/4l_tyLcH5q0

If you have a warranty you should def have Honda look at it

Well the good news is that the car is now fixed. The bad news I had to pay for it twice lol. Turns out I do have warranty for like 3 more years! D'oh. Had to pay 100$ deductable, but no biggie. They replaced the tensioner assembly and all is well now.

The service advisor said the tech told him the tensioner they replaced is old.

They let me keep the part they took off.

Does this look like a new part that was installed the day before?

20190722_175847.jpg 20190722_180901.jpg 20190722_175645.jpg 20190722_180933.jpg 20190722_175713.jpg 20190722_183001.jpg 20190722_182824.jpg

so another shop installed that for you (the one honda took off saying it was old?)? I'd be going back to that place and getting your money back

so another shop installed that for you (the one honda took off saying it was old?)? I'd be going back to that place and getting your money back

Well not exactly. It was my sister in laws cousin. He is a mechanic, and also does some work on the side. He told me he replaced the entire assembly when I asked him. That part looks like it has a date stamp of 2019, but just trying to figure out if it is indeed old or if Honda just said that. I'm going to contact Hondapartsnow.com to see if they will do a refund for it being a defective part. I have no way to tell 100% if he indeed changed out the entire assembly, I believe him for what it's worth but you can never be too sure lol.

these noises sound nothing like my noise. ive come to the conclusion that all 2.4l si make the noise my car makes. recently heard a coupe at the gas station make the same noise as my car. ive stopped trying to fix it lol.

Back