2015 Spring Meet (May) - Dragon Territory

I was just there looking at new phones! They have this phone called the Jitterbug! It's awesome! The numbers are huge and there is this foam piece that fits around your ear so you can hear better!

Look at the size of this thing! iPhone 6? Psshh....

jitterbug_senior_citizen_cell_phone.jpg

Anyway, some more pertinent information:

If you guys are wondering "why these dates?" it has a little to do with the upcoming holiday in May. usually Memorial day is the real kickoff to the summer tourist season. The weather should be good enough at this point that we won't have to worry too much about cold temps and rain is only a slight concern. Also, by going a week before memorial day most things should be open, or opening and getting up and running in preparation for the onslaught in the region.

We should be able to avoid most of the summer crowds and holiday congestion.

We would like to try and get firm commitments nailed down since the accommodations we are currently looking at booking are limited on space. February, which is still a ways off would be a great date for pretty serious "Im definitely going" or "I will know soon" and possibly March for a deposit.

Even a large cabin that would run $2k a week would only be $200-ish a person if we get close to 10 people going. Fontana runs at least $120 a night. Yes, the motel 6 in Robbinsville is very affordable, but this is also going to be a vacation/hangout/have fun trip also.

Just stuff to think about.

I wish I could commit but this year coming up might be expensive for me so I have to see what's going on with work schedule, pay raise and car situation...

Reactions: Nix
I'm down for whatever, all I request is a place where I can get a private room. Consider me in.

Reactions: Nix
There are lots of options and it will mostly depend on numbers and who's in and who's for sure going. We can definitely make certain that accommodations are suitable for all. Ill post some of the possibles depending on group size and pricing. I want to keep it at $200 or less for the week per person.

Then we can have the option of maybe a night or two at Fontana. We might be able to get that group rate, $79/night. So split we might be talking $250 total for accommodations
lasting more than a week. Im cool with sharing a room with any of you guys, just not a bed. hahahah

I'll have to up-tire again before this meet. Put Michelin Pilot AS3 on my 17" wheels and dont feel like changing out again. I'll prob look for some 17x8 RPF1s and another set of RE11s.

Seeing how much body roll I have, I may just upgrade swaybars in the spring also.

You don't want to spoon with me while gazing out at the stars??? I am truly hurt @Nix

Seeing how much body roll I have, I may just upgrade swaybars in the spring also.

Summer tires that can be run in cold temps, definitely good for more, but I don't think they'll handle a week of backroad running or a trackday. They're only 215s so I'm going to upgrade to a 225/45 re11 or z2

As of right now with my work schedule I will be free for the 15th-21st. I probably won't stay the whole time but definitely the majority. I've already given my "I'm in" to @Nix @brucebartlow correct? Just waiting on a finalized total so I can send some money your way Bruce! And I don't mind having to share a room. Just not a bed haha. I'll probably bring my air mattress also for anyone who may need it.

Better start saving up some cash now since I have to upgrade my rubber.

For those that haven't been where we are going, your going to love it. The minimal traffic and cops is more then likely the best part. About half the time last year we searched this are and maps to find some better roads and I think you guys will like it! I know Bruce and nix have been working hard trying to find some "uncharted territory" and they have done a good job. The 276/215 loop is amazing. For the people who also like the scenery and not just all in it for the driving you will love that loop.
abb50ab7d7d0e27277d930bc26c30402.jpg
this picture was taken on that loop. The water fall first goes under the road before it gets to the falls where the road banks back around to where the falls is visibly and then goes on a nice straight stretch for about 1500 feet or so.

The roads themselves are amazing. Tight curves and some long straights. There is also a a little lake town southwest of Asheville, west of Brevard that is called Lake Toxaway. And if you hit highway 64 going through there in the morning the whole road and lake are blanketed with fog.

I love the driving but I'm also a sucker for a nice view!

Summer tires that can be run in cold temps, definitely good for more, but I don't think they'll handle a week of backroad running or a trackday. They're only 215s so I'm going to upgrade to a 225/45 re11 or z2

@Cbland13Si.... @death_roll has provided the best description of the Sport AS/3's i've ever seen. They'd be great for year round, except Dragon driving. For that you might consider the summer tires he's looking at, the re11 or z2.

Back