2nd gear restrictive?

12aay_e

Vegas
Vehicle Model
SI
Body Style
Sedan
Anyone else seem/feel like their second gear is restrictive? Like sitting at a light and just having the clutch in doing a 1-2 real quick and it feels like it doesn't go through smoothly? Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd also does this unless I rev match. Or I've power shifted a few times and it grinds too but speed shifting is fine. (I know how to drive stick so don't say driver error)

I mean damn I have only 800 miles and I smash it every now and then but already??

Inputs! I'm goin to the dealership Friday hopefully so yeah

you've been powershifting first to second gear with less than 800 miles on the car? The ecu records high rpm runs, so I hope they don't find anything too extreme that they blacklist warranty work on your trans (if they find issues). Another member had stated they ran amsoil manual trans fluid in their car and felt it shifted smoother. Might be worth a shot

Never said less. It's about to be 900. "Break in is 600mile" and plus salesman and everyone at Honda asked if I took it to the track yet lol but regardless it was notchy during break in

I just changed my OEM tranny oil over to Synthetic Sychromesh by Amsoil. (A full report to follow... but a little less notchy... which didn't bother me anyway).

By the way, if you change your own engine oil you can probably change the tranny oil. But you'll need to buy 4 feet of clear plastic tube about 3/4" in diameter (it just fits INSIDE the hole, and you must hold the tubing in there) along with a funnel and a friend to pour the oil while you're down under. Of course, don't forget the 17mm wrench and a 3/8 drive. If you have decent access, it's an easy 15 minute job.

bruce was the one ^

Anyone else seem/feel like their second gear is restrictive? Like sitting at a light and just having the clutch in doing a 1-2 real quick and it feels like it doesn't go through smoothly? Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd also does this unless I rev match. Or I've power shifted a few times and it grinds too but speed shifting is fine. (I know how to drive stick so don't say driver error)

I mean damn I have only 800 miles and I smash it every now and then but already??

Inputs! I'm goin to the dealership Friday hopefully so yeah
The reason I changed to synthetic tranny fluid was for enhanced longevity, not smoother shifting. But it is smoother shifting... so smooth that it pops out of second with the slightest flick of the finger. Not sure I like that part. There still remains some notchiness, but less pronounced than before. Of course, if you switch fluid and don't like it, it's easy to change back. The process is simple enough... it's primarily an issue of access. If you have a rack or even decent ramps (don't forget jack stands) you can easily change back to OEM fluid with another investment of 15 minutes and $15.00. (By the way, Amsoil has an exceptional product line... I'd recommend their Signature Series engine oil, especially for extended drain intervals and a high level of wear protection) LiquiMoly is another stout oil that stands the test of time, although not sure they have a tranny fluid for us) Mobil 1 generally does NOT test well, unless it's their outstanding "Extended Performance" version. (I recommend Blackstone-Labs.com for testing)

I can guarantee this civic is going to need the same mods as the 8thgen to shift smooth.

15k interval transmission fluid changes and an em1 clutch master cylinder.

sigh, i see honda is up to their same old tricks.

A friend of mine works at the dealership. Quote and unquote him. "The only time the PCM takes a snapshot is when a dtc is set aka a check engine light it holds it in memory but it doesn't hold everything "

Seems right. I would figure if high revving is being recorded.. There is no way that Honda has like an unlimited data log memory.

The 8th gen recorded high rpm levels or if you'd go over redline. It would overwrite older items with new things all the time. It's not like it was keeping a nonstop log of data. It would take snapshots of info & replace it with newer info.

I feel like 2nd gear dips in power sometimes. I guess if I would say it handles the worst if I had to rank them. I've been driving sticks for a long time too and its something I noticed pretty early on. I got 11000 miles on it now.

went to honda yesterday. of course they said that they don't feel ****. NO **** you DONT drive the car everyday. whatever. as long as it's documented.

Back