420Coupe's BOSS R18A1

Which kit is that one?

That's going to need a lot of work to make worthy. That intercooler is too small to be efficient enough to stop heat soak, the intake needs to leave the engine bay, that turbo manifold doesn't look right at all. The only good thing I see here is that you have a full tubular downpipe from the flange, so it automatically is less restrictive than the TSI kit.

I forgot... The intercooler isn't even mounted. There are no brackets, or even mount points on the intercooler, just like the TSI kit.

That blows. From 8th i heard about a few people running the fullrace kit, its kinda pricey though. Was yours custom built @Nyghtstalkr

That blows. From 8th i heard about a few people running the fullrace kit, its kinda pricey though. Was yours custom built @Nyghtstalkr

I'm not trying to sound like a d!ck but dude, you sound like every other R18 owner complaining about cost. If you want to be the first to turbo, then you have to upfront the money man. Quality costs money. Turbo'ing any car is not cheap. These kits for $3000 are bullish!t kits. You always have to add things. They are never complete. Si guys spend in excess of 6 grand to boost. Technically I started with TSI and then heavily modified the setup.

I'm not trying to sound like a d!ck but dude, you sound like every other R18 owner complaining about cost. If you want to be the first to turbo, then you have to upfront the money man. Quality costs money. Turbo'ing any car is not cheap. These kits for $3000 are bullish!t kits. You always have to add things. They are never complete. Si guys spend in excess of 6 grand to boost. Technically I started with TSI and then heavily modified the setup.
Nah man you're good. I know I'm complaining, spending money just sucks! But still, quality is gonna cost, especially since it might not exist yet. Just comparing the R18 kits, the full race is quite a bit more than the TSI kit, and Im just trying to figure out where's the difference between reputable quality and potentially overpriced. Because usually with anything car related, cheap usually = bad

Do you see my avatar? If so, that is my current TSI Manifold, GT25 Turbo (which is modified with TD05-16G internals) and the TSI exhaust side downpipe adapter. There literally is 3/4" for the exhaust gases to leave the turbo, then turn 90 degrees down and leave that adapter to the exhaust. This is highly restrictive and you don't make any more power north of 4500-5000 rpms. Once you change that to a tubular downpipe, then you can create power to redline. That is one BIG DIFFERENCE between the Full Race and TSI kits.

Here ya go.... This shows how tight the exhaust side is on the TSI setup. This was taken before my wreck last January. I now have a 2009 front end and such. My engine bay is empty right now because the engine is torn down so I can send it to CNC Werx to get it built. Once back together, it will be completely 100% different.

Attachments

• IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
This was April 2013, after getting a new downpipe made, all intercooler piping replaced, new intake and IAT sensor moved to after the intercooler. This was on 8psi. Yes, if you know who Ramey Built is, I live here where they are and they are the ones who have always done any fabrication work I've ever needed.

Attachments

• R18-turbo April 2013 Dyno.jpg
    R18-turbo April 2013 Dyno.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 12
Thanks a ton man for all that info!! Im gonna look those build threads over during class. This will definitely help me out

you can boost a 9th gen si for about $4000 complete.... just people prefer to spend $6000 when they don't have to

you can boost a 9th gen si for about $4000 complete.... just people prefer to spend $6000 when they don't have to
Yea, because of the single outlet exhaust like the R18, however, there is ALWAYS stuff you need to get after and that always adds up.

adding a bracket to secure the intercooler is not very hard. i don't think it's a deal breaker.
While I agree with that, it's an added cost for an intercooler that ALREADY is completely sh!tty and very inefficient.

Back