5qt of oil?

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
Hey everyone quick question. My wife drives a 2013 civic sedan EXL with Nav and went to do her oil change today. After it was done i was looking at the paper work and saw they charged her for quantity of 5 for oil.

So, as far as I could remember, the car can take 3.9-4.2 quarts. So i didn't know if the car can actually take 5qt or did they mischarge me or they put 4 point something and charged me for 5.

So I called and asked and they said they put 5. I asked i didn't know the car can take 5 i though the manual said something around 4. The rep told me it's 5 total since they took the filter out, the car takes 5.

I thanked her and that was that.

My main reason was because i will be performing an oil change myself on my 2014 civic sedan and although i have 5qt 0w-20, I thought it would only take 4.2.

Any idea from people out there who have done their oil change or got it done at honda? Should i put 5qt after the new filter? and if you get oil changes at honda, do they charge you for 5qt or 4qt?

Hey everyone quick question. My wife drives a 2013 civic sedan EXL with Nav and went to do her oil change today. After it was done i was looking at the paper work and saw they charged her for quantity of 5 for oil.

So, as far as I could remember, the car can take 3.9-4.2 quarts. So i didn't know if the car can actually take 5qt or did they mischarge me or they put 4 point something and charged me for 5.

So I called and asked and they said they put 5. I asked i didn't know the car can take 5 i though the manual said something around 4. The rep told me it's 5 total since they took the filter out, the car takes 5.

I thanked her and that was that.

My main reason was because i will be performing an oil change myself on my 2014 civic sedan and although i have 5qt 0w-20, I thought it would only take 4.2.

Any idea from people out there who have done their oil change or got it done at honda? Should i put 5qt after the new filter? and if you get oil changes at honda, do they charge you for 5qt or 4qt?

I don't think I have managed to put more than about 4.5 in an Si...which is a bigger engine.

Check the owners manual for how much the car should take with and without a filter change. More importantly, check the dipstick to make sure the level is not above the top line.

As far as the charge, I imagine they charge in whole units (quarts). So, if they put in 4.1+ qts, they will most likely charge for 5 qts.

To check your oil on the dip-stick park on level spot, and check "5 min" after turning the engine off.......... and as @squiggy says should not go over top mark/line.........

...As far as the charge, I imagine they charge in whole units (quarts). So, if they put in 4.1+ qts, they will most likely charge for 5 qts.

I agree. That I believe I guess the advisor didn't know what she was talking about. I will check her dipstick after the engine has been shut off for 5 minutes when I get home.

The SI I think only takes about 4.2 or so quarts (according to our manual.) but you can get an exact number from there...5 would be a lot!

Ok so I checked out the oil. It's really tough since the engine is clean and dipstick is orange. Anyway it looks like the oil covered all the little fence like dots and a little more. Is that good? It does not go past the curve.

Ok so I checked out the oil. It's really tough since the engine is clean and dipstick is orange. Anyway it looks like the oil covered all the little fence like dots and a little more. Is that good? It does not go past the curve.

You do not want it to go past the top line. Otherwise, engine damage could occur. If the oil is hitting the curved part, there is too much in the engine.

You can loosen the drain bolt and let it leak out till you get the level you want........ Caution........ don't do it while it's hot.... so if you mess up and the plug comes all the way out...... You can get it back in and not loose to much oil............... it would be good to buy 2 quarts before starting this procedure............ and have a catch pan and some paper towels ready.

You can loosen the drain bolt and let it leak out till you get the level you want........ Caution........ don't do it while it's hot.... so if you mess up and the plug comes all the way out...... You can get it back in and not loose to much oil............... it would be good to buy 2 quarts before starting this procedure............ and have a catch pan and some paper towels ready.

I would just take it back to whoever did it and rip them a new one.

I would just take it back to whoever did it and rip them a new one.
That would be honda. And it does not go past the curve however it does go over the fence dots slightly. The clear our makes it damn tough to read. It annoys me when reps don't know and they answer questions when I know the engine can not take 5qt. I don't mind paying for 1qt if they only use .1 but don't just answer without knowing.

Four bangers generally take four and a half quarts tops. I've never, ever received an invoice, for any type of fluid, that states they used a specific amount. Also, they didn't overcharge you. The job calls for a half hour, an hour at some dealerships, five quarts of oil, a filter, and a crush washer.

The local "stealerships" around here charge the full 5 qts of whatever oil, pocket the rest, and only fill whatever the spec is. I suspect that's what happened here. Just a fresh out of school tech who hasn't learned how to check the stick. As far as I know, it is about one quart from the low end of the stick to the top mark, so if they put the full 5 qts in, I think it would be sloshing around in there.

My 2014 civic has 6488 miles and 20% oil. I'm waiting for it to show 15% to perform my oil change myself. My wife's car is a lease so I decided to have honda do it for records and warranty.

Just got back from getting my 25,000 mile service $53.15.... more to the point, they changed the oil and filter....... This is from the invoice; 0w20 oil Qty. 4 $14.40......... Some dealers do it right....

Maybe I missed something. But most Oil Change places advertise "Up to 5 quarts of oil for 39.99" or something along those line. Perhaps they put 4.x like you said, and just put 5 on the paper as a easy computer check out?

if he's over the top mark on the dip stick, they put more than 4 in the car.

Back