8th gen help

OffTheWall

Virginia
Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Sedan
hey all, I also have an 8th gen couple with the 1.8. I can't get it to start. It's cranks over slightly but acts like the battery is dead. So I got a new battery thinking it was that. Still not working. Took the battery out my 9th gen. Nothing. It will start when jumped, but not off the battery alone. Any ideas?? I'm at a loss. I have also posted in some other forums but everyone on here is so much faster.

Starter most likely. How many miles?

EDIT: Do all the dash lights flicker when you try to start it?

A lot of the 9th gens had bad batteries or batteries that failed quickly. I would buy a new battery just to see if the issue is the battery before chasing down a starter especially with the known 9th gen battery issues. Considering a jump gets it going it sounds like the one battery is dead and the other has enough to get the newer car going for some reason.

150,xxx miles. The lights don't flicker. The engine will turn over slowly a couple of times then stop. Then just a clicking and no starter engagement. New battery reading 12.4.

hmmm.... we've got 3 of the 8th gen 1.8L cars. They all needed starters right around 130-150k. That's why that was my first thought.

It starts and runs with a jump though so that means the fuel pump is working and you have gas in the car. Or does it die right away when you take the jumper cables off?
If you sit in the car and crank the key forward, but not to the start position, just enough to turn on the electronics you should be able to hear the fuel pump prime.

Does the car run and drive ok after a jump?

Starts and runs perfect after a jump. When you turn the key to "on" all lights work, fuel pump starts, everything. Sometimes it will even slightly crank over the first couple of times then just click.
I should also note thus isn't consistent. Mostly very cold mornings. Maybe once every couple of weeks. After I jump it it's good for a while till the next very cold morning.

Back