8thgen SRI and TBS on 9thgen - R18z1

sk8nava

Slugger City, KY
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
Well thanks to Dan wesellcarparts I have received my HPS Short Ram Intake(SRI) for the 8thgen a few days ago. I had some time to install it as well as see if the 8thgen P2R Throttle Body Spacer(TBS) would fit as well. I did some research before I went along with this even though some people said that it would not fit and blah blah blah...I checked the part number to the 06-11 Civic intake manifold for the R18 and matched it with the 2012 one and the part numbers were the same, so I figured that I would give it a try.

After taking everything apart, I got the TBS in there with no issues! I installed the throttle body back on and when it came to the intake; here is where I kind of ran into a wall...

When I got the SRI in, it came with a K&N filter(Part #: RU-4960). While trying to fit everything in, I noticed that the filter itself is too long to fit where the batter and ECU are located. That was ok because I knew just what I needed. I went down to Autozone and bought a Spectre High Flow (Turbo Style) Filter AND a Spectre Coupler kit.
With the Spectre Air Filter, you'll need to buy the small one(Picture Here) that has the adapters to fit a 3", 3.5", and 4" inlet tubes. (Part #: 8162)
On the coupler kit, you will need the one that connects from a 2.5" to a 3" (Picture Here). You will only need to use the 2.5" adapter inside the silicone hose though(Part #: 8771)

After those parts were bought, everything went on ok and had no issues and even the MAF Sensor went in with no trouble. If you go this route, the hardest part is getting the coupler thing on the intake pipe because you have to stretch it a little to fit it, but it works great.
Over all, I am satisfied with everything, and I now can assure everyone that the 8thgen P2R TBS for the R18 does work on the 9thgens, and the HPS SRI works with a shorter filter. Hopefully in the future, soon rather, that companies will sell more options for SRIs for the 9thgen R18s; they can use the 8thgen intake tubes but just need to send them with shorter filters due to the placement of our batteries and ECU.
I have been running with it on the car for a few days and there have been no issues, no lights, and no bog outs at all! I can tell a small difference in the pull of the car, and it sounds pretty decent from inside the cabin. I will be taking a trip to Cinci(1.5 hours away) to see my parents fro X-mas, so we will see how it runs on a road trip!

Thank you all for looking!

IMG_0876_zpsa292ad7f.jpg

IMG_0877_zps357feeb8.jpg

IMG_0878_zps2473d2f0.jpg

Nice work on testing it out :thumb: what's the point to the top metal piece?

Wow thats awesome!! It looks great! Same with mine the air filter was a tight fit but i never would've thought to get a different one lol. Great job!

So its been almost weeks now and everything is doing great. The only thing that is going on is 3 days after the install, I recieved a "Tighten Gas Cap" message on my iMid. I filled up, tightened the cap and started the car and it went away, then the next day on the way to Cinci(1.5 hour drive for me) it came back on about 50 minutes into my trip while in Cruise control...Dont know if the intake would trigger that, but its still on and it wont go off. So far though everything is working fine and I'm still completely happy with everything!
But if anyone knows anything about that iMid message, let me know!

Back