A few low priced engine mods?

taffy

Fort Riley, KS
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
So, I really want to get some goodies for my car to get a little more out of it, but I'm just not able to drop more then like $400 right now. A real down pipe is out because I can't afford flash pro now, no catback because I don't want to get loud yet. I was thinking I could get a DC Sports Sri and a Tusdo testpipe for about $375 shipped and that would keep me happy for abit(then sell them when I had cash for better stuff). Are there better options for about the same price range? Any cel's would also be a no go for me.

2e4ajuma.jpg

Here's a random pic for your enjoyment.

I'm also considering a HPS tube and K&N filter instead of the DC intake.

Honestly Flash Pro is the best and only option for performance with out it any exhaust or intakes would be compensated for by the stock ECU. Save a little more and buy a tuning/FP package from @VitViper you will be happier in the long run.

The only intake that vit says has been shown to have any gains is the one from PRL. Other than that you are wasting your moneys unfortunately. Unless you just want more sound. For cheaper I'd say pull the intake resonator off and get a $50 K&N drop in filter. It'll give you a little more rumble for as cheap as possible until you can save up for the stuff you really want.

In all honesty just wait to get the parts you want in the end and do it right, do it once. I've played that game before, and so have a lot of other people, and it's always more expensive and sometimes stuff just plain doesn't work. Also, how many times do you really want to be doing an exhaust install?

If you're not concerned about running catless you can get the 3" Ultimate Racing DP for $399 which would be better than that Tsudo for $375 that you are going to end up replacing anyway. I think @323 has one on his car. I don't remember off hand if you need Flashpro to run it or not. I think @squiggy might know the answer to that one also.

For a quiet catback with gains the Invidia Q300 is a great exhaust to look at.

EDIT: Si? or non-Si?

Needing FlashPro for a downpipe seems to be a mixed bag when it comes to throwing a CEL. However, you should be tuned if you are running any aftermarket downpipe anyway.

Reactions: Nix
I think UR has a defouler option which may save you from the CEL until you get FP, but thanks for the clarification Squiggy!

Throttle body spacer with x2 thermal gaskets and thermal intake manifold gasket will help increase hp, more so keep your hp consistent from the thermal gaskets.

I was just talking about the Tusdo 2nd cat delete. But the more I think about it, your right I don't want to deal with things more then once. I just really have the itch to do something now.

How much would a thermal gasket help on our intake manifolds, they are already mostly plastic.

Oh, 2013 si coupe.

yba3y5a7.jpg

I really just want some better throttle response. I'm not after some massive unrealistic gain.

Anyone have the HPS silicone intake hose?

I planned on just getting the exhaust piping replaced with some 2.5" or 2.75" mandrel bent piping to the stock muffler down the road.

I have some Tein springs and 24mm progress bar on the way.

@taffy this is what you need to do to get the most out of your car without spending alot of money but more so time.
Delete the intake resonator
k&n drop in filter
HPS intake boot
p2r throttle body spacer x2 thermal gaskets + intake manifold gasket
remove the intake manifold and use an exact knife to remove the molding flash of the plastic inside to increase flow and velocity
with the removal of the intake manifold will allow you to remove the aluminum intake runners that are bolted to the cylinder head the sand casting of that item leaves terrible surface on the inside which can be sanded down for a smooth feel or polished looked. All these mods will yield very response and power gain.
You could also send your throttle body off to maxbore.com and they'll bore your throttle for 99 bucks shipped there and back. they can also bore match your throttle body spacer and gasket to match the bore of the throttle body for an 35 bucks plus 10 bucks per gasket

Theres alot of things you can do to optimize your intake to be better then what it currently does and still retain a stock look. you could even go as far as wrapping your lower intake tubing in thermal reflective tape to help keep intake temperatures down. The more cool dense air you get the more fuel the cars ecu will give which means more power!!

Ok, so sounds like good advice. So the new shopping list is, HPS Intake tube, K&N filter, thermal gaskets, a throttle body spacer, exacto knife, and some sand paper.

Sand paper needs to be sand paper for metal though i forgot what its called
lets me get the link for you on the intake runners being sanded

Termal gaskets keep AIT'S consistently down. They're beneficial just like the collant bypass on the throttle body! @outersquare
Also, the cooler more dense air going into your motor the more gasoline your ecu will provide which has a direct result of more horsepower/torque!

The only intake that vit says has been shown to have any gains is the one from PRL. Other than that you are wasting your moneys unfortunately. Unless you just want more sound. For cheaper I'd say pull the intake resonator off and get a $50 K&N drop in filter. It'll give you a little more rumble for as cheap as possible until you can save up for the stuff you really want.

In all honesty just wait to get the parts you want in the end and do it right, do it once. I've played that game before, and so have a lot of other people, and it's always more expensive and sometimes stuff just plain doesn't work. Also, how many times do you really want to be doing an exhaust install?

If you're not concerned about running catless you can get the 3" Ultimate Racing DP for $399 which would be better than that Tsudo for $375 that you are going to end up replacing anyway. I think @323 has one on his car. I don't remember off hand if you need Flashpro to run it or not. I think @squiggy might know the answer to that one also.

For a quiet catback with gains the Invidia Q300 is a great exhaust to look at.

EDIT: Si? or non-Si?
@taffy, what @Nix said is bang on. I've made the same mistakes and rushed into buying things that I thought would help make some performance gains only to find out that they don't really do much.
Do yourself a favour and be patient, save up for the proper parts, and do it right the first time. You also have to make sure you do your research.
Unfortunately adding horsepower costs $$. There is no such thing as making good gains for little money.
After hanging around this blog for a couple years, I've changed ides on how and what I want to modify on my car. (I'm also changing my car as well. Lol)
It looks like you haven't had your car all that long so take your time, enjoy the vehicle. In the end it will cost you a whole lot less.

Last edited:
Back