A/T Tranny shift is harsh. P0966 Pressure Control Solenoid Valve B Circuit low

Discussion in 'Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat' started by Dennis Vega, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Dennis Vega

Dennis Vega Well-Known Member

2012 Honda Civic LX 1.8 - I’m not sure if I replaced the right part but shift is still bad. I did drain & full with the recommended Honda transmission fluid. Could it be a sensor like TPS or something? Please help!

2. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

P0966 HONDA Possible Causes
    • Faulty A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve 'B'
    • A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve 'B' harness is open or shorted
    • A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve 'B' circuit poor electrical connection
    numerous sites claim the solenoid valve being bad is the most common cause.

3. Dennis Vega

2012 Civic LX - Obd2 gave me code P0966 (Pressure Control Solenoid B Valve Circuit Low). I replaced the part and it still has transmission problems. It jerks when I put it in reverse and drive. Doesn’t shift pass 3rd. And I had VSS, ABS lights on dash. Could it be some kind of sensor? Like TPS? Help!

4. Dennis Vega

So how
    How do I fix it

5. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

is that the only code you have? I know I've helped someone else in the past where their car wouldn't shift past a certain gear no matter the rpm. I recall there were 2 solenoids that controlled the shifting between low/high gears on the trans.

You could call and ask for Paul in parts
    1-855-299-7244
    https://www.collegehillshondaparts.com/

He could probably rattle off the part number without even looking it up. I know on the 8th generations it was a very common part where they sold quite a few.

6. Dennis Vega

Thanks . I already replaced with a new solenoid. A little better but not fixed. Still harsh shift in R and must rev rpms at least past 5000 for it to get going

7. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

you replaced just 1 sensor correct? Part #? I'm saying there are multiple pressure sensors that tell the trans to up/downshift. Collegehills could probably rattle the part number off to you which I mentioned above.