Acura ILX Changes Coming Due To Slow Sales

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Acura ILX Changes Coming Due To Low Sales Numbers
2013_Acura_ILX_front_motion_view.sized.jpg

Much to the dismay of Acura, the ILX hasn't exactly been the success Honda's near-luxury brand expected it to be selling a little over 12,000 units in 2012, or less than half than the 30,000 originally targeted. That's something Acura freely admits.

"The ILX is not hitting our sales expectations," American Honda President John Mendel told reported at November’s Los Angeles Auto Show, according to Wards Auto. "Consumers have told us they like the 2.4L and they wish they had an automatic, but they say the midrange vehicle is underpowered and they don’t see the value in it."

Acura currently offers the Civic-based ILX with a choice of three powertrains, including a 150hp 2.0-liter gasoline engine linked to a 5sp automatic, an 111HP hybrid model with a 1.5-liter engine, and a range-topping 201hp 2.4-liter gasoline unit paired exclusively to a six-speed manual.

To increase sales, among other things, Acura plans to add an automatic transmission option for the most powerful engine of the range while also improving the ILX's equipment features.

"We’re doing some value enhancements on the car," says Mendel. “We’re planning some as we go forward. But I think, overall, we have a good plan for ILX. It is bringing in buyers to Acura we had wanted, as in first-time luxury (buyers) or move-ups.

"We had a little bit overestimated the size and the growth of that segment to begin with. But it’s probably getting two-thirds of our (volume) expectations. The nice part is that it’s increasing every month, catching on more. It’s accepted. It’s kind of a growing segment."

make the 2.0 available in stick and make the tech package available in the 2.4 trims!

Acura ILX Changes Coming Due To Low Sales Numbers
2013_Acura_ILX_front_motion_view.sized.jpg

Much to the dismay of Acura, the ILX hasn't exactly been the success Honda's near-luxury brand expected it to be selling a little over 12,000 units in 2012, or less than half than the 30,000 originally targeted. That's something Acura freely admits.

"The ILX is not hitting our sales expectations."
Is anyone really surprised?

Agreed. Not much of a surprise. The ILX is priced too high for what it is. If it was lower priced and had the tech package on the 2.4 I would seriously consider it.

i think ive seen 3 of them in the wild

• Staff
I've seen it at a car show...if that counts. None on the road.

They're too close to the cheaper Honda version to entice people to buy them. If you want luxury you can get more from other brands, if you want performance you get more from the cheaper Honda cousins. They address a market area where people are either wanting more performance or more luxury. Other auto makers provide more luxury or more performance in their fancy cousins, see Lexus and Infinity.

IS250 msrp starts at 35k
Infinity g starts at 37k

Ilx starts at 25k...that's a significant range

IS250 msrp starts at 35k
Infinity g starts at 37k

Ilx starts at 25k...that's a significant range

For sure, but the others address a higher level of a car better. Lexus has nice luxury features although maybe more discrete and it has amazing reliability reviews. Infinity has great looks, great luxury, performance is lacking for the buck but luxury considered I really like their interiors and overall feel.

ILX is too close financially and features wise to the Civic Si luxury excepted. Even then ILX feels like a luxury improved Honda, but not enough to really have the luxury feel. IS and Gs they're more expensive but they give you more for bang for the buck, I think Gs more than ISes. I would be surprised if IS 250 has massive sales either. I see a lot of higher Lexus models on the road, not too many 250s for the same reason I think.

Again this is my oppinion and I am no marketing expert.

I see a lot of TSXes on the road but few ILXes.

I forgot to mention ILX is a smaller luxury car, usually for people biting that segment small is a negative. All non car people that get in my Si ask me why I payed so much for such a small car. I always tell them I would have wanted a smaller lighter car with a bigger engine for the same money if possible :)

Make it look more like the concept model, lol

Only have seen 2 around town.

So I thought I'd do a bit of searching. From my past experiences looking at either of those cars or brands (not to exclude BMW or others)...they tend to come installed with numerous packages. So, the starting price is slightly irrelavent if you find the cars with added options from the start.

Cheapest 2013 is250 within 100 miles of me - $38,8XX
G37 - $42,2XX
Ilx - $24,9XX

14k under the cheapest IS locally. That's a huge price gap, considering that's over 50% of the ilx purchase price. I might add that the pricing went significantly up from the lowest price option I found. I get what you're saying as far as it not being the powerful engine, or super luxury vehicle. It's an upscale civic with leather/hids etc.

Starting price aside to get an ilx 2.0 with the tech package your looking at around 29-31k. For the 2.4 your looking right around 31k give or take and you can't get the technology package. For an "entry level" car that's too much imo when I paid 23k for my si.

We don't have the ilx here but I think Acura has to be different and dare more. Maybe it would sound stupid but how about a 201 hp 2.4 litre engine with a hybrid powertrain and an option of manual or automatic/cvt ?

Ilx buyers are in my opinion buyers who would like something more premium than a rebadged civic. It has to be daring, different, Acura. And the current isn't any of that. It is just a good, reliable, well equipped car. No soul, no excitement :(

I don't get this ILX to IS/G comparison. The IS comes with a base ~200HP V6, while the G's only V6 runs over 300HP. Both are RWD (optional AWD). Both, critically, can have navigation units on their top trim. Both are also in the process of being replaced with newer models.

Both are much, much better than the ILX, IMO, and worth the cost. That's like saying the a Toyota Camry is cheaper than a Toyota Avalon. What!? It just blows my mind a lessor car is cheaper.

The Acura ILX is normally compared to the Buick Verano, and not favorably, while the Merc CLA, Audi A3 sedan are both about to make serious moves into the segment.

Last edited:
I don't get this ILX to IS/G comparison. The IS comes with a base ~200HP V6, while the G's only V6 runs over 300HP. Both are RWD (optional AWD). Both, critically, can have navigation units on their top trim. Both are also in the process of being replaced with newer models.

Both are much, much better than the ILX, IMO, and worth the cost. That's like saying the a Toyota Camry is cheaper than a Toyota Avalon. What!? It just blows my mind a lessor car is cheaper.

The Acura ILX is normally compared to the Buick Verano, and not favorably, while the Merc CLA, Audi A3 sedan are both about to make serious moves into the segment.

The reason I mentioned the G and IS is for an example of a entry level real luxury car that actually delivers and distinguishes itself as one. ILX is a tentative that still has the economy cars as the core with some nice add ons but not enough to compete.

A definition for luxury is: "The state of great comfort and extravagant living." This suggests to me that luxury and reasonable price do not belong in the same price :)

To be fully honest I do not prefer luxury cars for me performance has the priority.

Back