DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

If I want a car audio installation expert to install this, is there a possibility that they can botch this?

Hey ADX,
When you post how to install the DVD player and reverse camera onto the i Mid, will you put the DIY in this thread or start a new one?

go new! You can reuse pics/info from this one, but it'd prob be better to start a fresh thread.

Bad news its not gonna be a DVD player. Good news its a USB/SDXC player that will slotted right above the AUX/12v.

So, I want to do this myself and have never done anything like it before. Its seems pretty straightforward to me, do you have any advice?

Two main points I would advise. 1, When you are doing this project or any that is electrical/circuit base. Make sure you check every connection 2-3 times that they are secured before moving on. 2, when removing trims and car pieces, do it gradually and dont put pressure unless you are sure because once its broken or dented, it will bug you every time you drive until you replace it.

Already voted for ya. In my mind, the reverse camera is by far the most innovative and comprehensive DIY on the list.:thumb:

Last edited:
Nice diy Ade, really straightforward, main thing is checking the connections to the imid, be sure its in good or else connections will get pushed out when connecting, other than that its pretty simple

It' not thouroughly explained as to what I do with the stripped RCA cable. I have 3 wires sticking out.. IDK what to connect them to.

It' not thouroughly explained as to what I do with the stripped RCA cable. I have 3 wires sticking out.. IDK what to connect them to.

During the strip/prep part, its says that the third red wire is ignored, one is ground, the other is vid. Those two will connect to the wires running to the front as video feed. And of course the RCA male end is connected to the yellow RCA female end that is coming out of the camera. If you look at the diagram, it reassures you to do so as well.

During the strip/prep part, its says that the third red wire is ignored, one is ground, the other is vid. Those two will connect to the wires running to the front as video feed. And of course the RCA male end is connected to the yellow RCA female end that is coming out of the camera. If you look at the diagram, it reassures you to do so as well.
So in theory, couldn't you connect anything that uses an rca video plug?

Back