DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

So in theory, couldn't you connect anything that uses an rca video plug?

Bingo, but try figuring it out from scratch without any leads or diagrams. The new question is how can you do it with multiple devices input without having to affect other devices that are already there which Im gonna do this sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
During the strip/prep part, its says that the third red wire is ignored, one is ground, the other is vid. Those two will connect to the wires running to the front as video feed. And of course the RCA male end is connected to the yellow RCA female end that is coming out of the camera. If you look at the diagram, it reassures you to do so as well.
Which one is the ground?

Bingo, but try figuring it out from scratch without any leads or diagrams. The new question is how can you do it with multiple devices input without having to affect other devices that are already there which Im gonna do this sunday.
Awesome, can't wait. I have this dream of playing an N64 on my i-MID screen

I'm doing this now and I can't get the pins in the harness properly. I can put them in and when I lock the clip they stay, but I can't see them on the other side and when Iplug it in, it doesn't work. What should I do?

You should be able to see them on the other side where I highlighted, try pre aligning it with a paper clip or thumb tack so it wont be pushed backed out.

You should be able to see them on the other side where I highlighted, try pre aligning it with a paper clip or thumb tack so it wont be pushed backed out.
I don't know if I can see it. I'm pretty sure I can. Now, when I try to plug the iMid in, the cable wont click in. It feels like one of the pins are preventing it or it has a broken clip.

Just make sure you can see it in the appropriate holes and the male pins are not bent. I know several had this issue as well.

Finished! It was frustrating at times only because I wasn't sure what I was doing, but it's actually super easy! Advice to anyone starting this project.

Make sure the pins that plug into the iMid harness are all long and unrestricted, mine were kinda close together and that make my job very difficult.
The hardest part is plugging the pins into the iMid harness, which still isn't that bad.

ADExternal, thanks so much for your help. I'm anxiously awaiting your future DIYs with screwdriver in hand.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of a long pin that you are reffering to.....how long is long? ....and what exactly do you mean when you said unrestricted?
Thanks! BTW....about how long did it take you to install everything?

Do you have a picture of a long pin that you are reffering to.....how long is long? ....and what exactly do you mean when you said unrestricted?
Thanks! BTW....about how long did it take you to install everything?
I'm referring to the pins in step 1. Make sure you cut them long enough, when you push the pins into the harness, they go in far, so they need to be able to bend and move around easily. If two of the pins are soldered too close together, it makes the job more difficult. I put shrink tubing too close to the ground pin and it prevented it from going in all the way, which I didn't realize until this morning.

The camera prep took me about and hour, I was doing other things too.
The installation took me 2 days, but I started at around 12:30 and stopped at around 5, because I wanted a break, and I finished it within and hour this morning. I'd say that if you are a really focused and organized person, you could finish this in 6 hours.

Back