DIY ADExternal's 2012 Honda Civic Reverse Backup Camera DIY

this is amazing! i don't have the skill to do this though lol nor probably the patience! but awesome write up!

I'll try to do more simple but effective mod DIYs when I get the chance Privman. Im sure there are plenty of things you can do!

I'll try to do more simple but effective mod DIYs when I get the chance Privman. Im sure there are plenty of things you can do!

I about lost my mind when doing the RBC swap lol ... i could probably do this as well. Just have to find the time is more of my issue i guess lol

So happy to have this here....yahooo!

I have all parts and now only await spring and nice weather to install. Wish someone else was close enough to join me and install it. I plan on installing reverse camera, JDM hazard light, and temperature sensor (for Imid screen) at the same time. Thinking about ordering fog lights and putting those on while bumper is off to install temperature sensor. Road trip anyone? ha ha

Should install an ambient lighting while you have your dash out. I'm currently writing a 30$ ambient kit diy, its a very dim accent, just enough to give a good lighting. also controlled by couple switches and very OEM look and feel.

Loving this DIY. The original camera link is no longer available, but this seller has an active one with a similar model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-HON...6?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2ec5a52aec

The wire taps are also not available, but I found a different style here (they also sell the 22 AWG dual conductor stranded wire):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_450934-3767...URL=?Ntt=non+splice+wire+connector&facetInfo=

I placed my orders with eBay for the camera and connectors today.

Thanks for the DIY...This is awesome!

If you plan to install the camera in a sedan, you should make an additional modification to clear the garnish. As you can see in the first pic, the camera could not clear the garnish with just the mod as proposed by AD-External. You need also to lift the camera from its base about 10mm to fit after you displace it. Pics 2 and 3 show the final result. I did it last november and it is a very useful mod.

Camera fit.jpgIMG_0741-1.jpg IMG_0740-1.jpg

Last edited:
If you plan to install the camera in a sedan, you should make an additional modification to clear the garnish. As you can see in the first pic, the camera could not clear the garnish with just the mod as proposed by AD-External. You need also to lift the camera from its base about 10mm to fit after you displace it. Pics 2 and 3 show the final result. I did it last november and it is a very useful mod.
Definitely will keep this in mind. I just received the 12 SMD yesterday. Will start my install when it gets a bit warmer. I will take photos of my progress and post in my build thread.

Back