DIY Aftermarket Spoiler on 2012 Civic EX Coupe

Flamethrower

Worcester, MA
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
So after a long drawn out process which I will not go in to detail about, my CORRECT spoiler arrived for my car and I was able to install it last night with help from a buddy and his garage. This is my first time doing something like this so please bear with me.
1) When I opened the box I noticed the foam around where the spoiler will sit on the trunk. I learned a small trick from my window visors and took a black sharpie and colored the outside of the foam black to match my car. This way it gives it the impression of being seamless. I then colored the bottom of the foam padding black, colored the screw holes and placed pieces of cardboard over them to create templates. I would have followed the instructions but I don't own a Chevy Camaro. See pics below.
spoil1.sized.jpg

2) Then by taping the templates to the spoiler and placing it on the trunk in the desired spot, we taped the templates to the trunk and removed the spoiler. This left just the cardboard templates on the car for drilling time.
spoil2.sized.jpg

spoil3.sized.jpg

spoil4.sized.jpg

3) Next is the drilling. This is the part that scared me. One wrong hole and the trunk is toast. Luckily we took our time and double checked everything before we drilled. Started off with small bits and worked our way up to a bit that the screw fit smoothly through. The hole was just right for the screw. The first 2 holes I forgot to put downa rag for the metal shavings. That is highly recommended.
spoil5.sized.jpg

spoil6.sized.jpg

spoil7.sized.jpg

spoil8.sized.jpg

4) Once you get the holes to the correct size, it's time to start on the back holes. Now because of my placement on the trunk, the inside holes had to be double drilled. That and one of the holes was on a weird angle. You can see from the pics that there is two layers of metal to drill through. The inside holes needed to be considerably larger so the ratchet attachment would fit in it to tighten the screw.
spoil10.sized.jpg

spoil11.sized.jpg

5) Once the holes are drilled and the burrs are cleaned up, place some auto paint or I used clear nail polish around the holes to prevent rusting. Wait for that to dry before installing the spoiler. Once dry, I put Liquid Nails silicone on and around the holes to create a nice seal to prevent water from getting in to the trunk. Then it was time to install the spoiler. Carefully line up on side and get one screw to catch and attach itself to the spoiler. Then move to the other side and line it up again and get a second screw to catch. After that, it's just screwing in the other 2 screws and tightening all 4 of them down. You want them tight but don't over do it. Once that is completed, wipe everything down and enjoy your finished product. I am actually heading to Home Depot today to find caps to put in the holes inside the trunk. It will give it a cleaner look.

spoil12.sized.jpg

spoil13.sized.jpg

spoil14.sized.jpg

spoil15.sized.jpg

spoil16.sized.jpg

spoil17.sized.jpg

All in all it took under 2 hours from start to finish. There were def a few hang ups here and there, but nothing we couldn't manage to get by. I like the way it looks. Came out very nice. If anyone has any questions or feel as if I missed something, please ask away. It's pretty simplistic and the directions make it seem worse than it is. Enjoy.

I was wondering what the 8th gen style wing would look like on the 9th coupe. This answered my question. It looks friggin nice! Great job :thumb:

If anyone is wondering, I ordered the spoiler painted from Carid.com. Pretty quick as far as painting and delivery goes.

So the final piece to the install I put on today. $3 at Home Depot. Not plugs but cover the holes up nicely.
IMG_0505.JPG

No, I removed them completely and spray painted them. I went a little overboard as to not get chips though. I did 2 coats of outdoor lawn chair type spray paint and then a coat of polyurethene (sp.) and then another coat of paint. The poly gives it a nice coat that will deter chipping.

I find this thread funny, because I plan on removing the spoiler that I have on my 2014 Si. lol Just don't want to have 4 holes left on the trunk.

Back