Aftermarket Steering Wheel (iMid controls?)

lbflip

Anyone rocking an aftermarket steering wheel with quick release?
What did you do with your imid/sound/menu/cruise buttons?

Wondering because i was looking into it but i don't want to lose the function of my car maintenance reminders and be able to reset it.

Thanks in advance!

Unless your able to swap them over I don't see a way to keep them.

This has come up multiple times, to no avail........ Sorry.

I highly recommend not replacing the steering wheel simply from a safety standpoint. Unless this is a track only car, you will be removing one of the main safety features designed to save your life.

The airbag that is placed directly in front of your skull sits in the center of the OEM wheel. Don't get rid of it. No one plans on crashing.

That said, I guess you could cut the buttons off the stock wheel and find a way to wire & mount them separately. Might look like a hack job though.

I'm sure that if you take apart the module, you can pull the wiring, extend them, and relocate the said controls to another part of the car. It's not that hard, but Nix is right -- you probably shouldn't fuss with a safety device. While you might not care, I'm pretty sure deactivating one airbag will cancel the whole system. You could probably wire a resister if you're considerate of your passengers to fool the computer into thinking all the airbags are still there, but that's all on you.

I highly recommend not replacing the steering wheel simply from a safety standpoint. Unless this is a track only car, you will be removing one of the main safety features designed to save your life.

The airbag that is placed directly in front of your skull sits in the center of the OEM wheel. Don't get rid of it. No one plans on crashing.

That said, I guess you could cut the buttons off the stock wheel and find a way to wire & mount them separately. Might look like a hack job though.
I agree with @Nix. Unless you're building a track car I wouldn't mess with the steering wheel.

Also nobody seems to consider insurance. If your airbag system has been tampered with and you get into a wreck and total your car your insurance company won't cover it. They will claim the car was tampered with. It gets infinitely worse if someone else is also in the car and gets hurt. They for sure won't compensate for injuries and you could get sued.

I agree with @Nix. Unless you're building a track car I wouldn't mess with the steering wheel.

Even then -- the stock steering wheel is plenty fine for driving on the track. Until you start doing timed events or racing competitively, the interior of the car is fine. I mean, the seats could use a little more support, but whatever.

Even then -- the stock steering wheel is plenty fine for driving on the track. Until you start doing timed events or racing competitively, the interior of the car is fine. I mean, the seats could use a little more support, but whatever.
I feel like the seats leave a lot to be desired. They will be the first major interior upgrade I want to do in mine. I also want to upgrade to better seats to support harness' as well as room for a cage.

I know about the safety but thats not what the thread was started for...Just wondering if anyone had successfully done it.
All of these post about safety, even though you don't need the advise. These post are helping to bump your thread so it will be seen a lot longer than it would otherwise. Also, it is spreading the word to others that might have had the same idea as you in wanting to do this.
Good luck in your search.......

You could remove the bag/steering wheel but keep the inflator tucked under-dash, on the safety15-40 and 15-41 airbag recalls it just replaces the inflator because it is defective, honda does not wire their inflators to the actual bag. When I remove the steering wheel airbag the inflator is easily removed and if you just extended the wiring you could tuck it behind the trim down to under the dash where there is plenty of room and you could keep the imid controls by removing the panels they are attached to and reroute it to your dummy buttons where the traction control button is.

I know about the safety but thats not what the thread was started for...Just wondering if anyone had successfully done it.

Understood. Just wanted to make sure you knew. Sometimes people overlook obvious stuff, like trying to find the ketchup in the fridge when its right in front of you.

In anycase, I think if you carefully removed all the buttons and maintained their wiring you could easily insert them into a small box and mount it somewhere handy, like the top of the steering column.

This sort of thing....

avs-arc-3-bk-3-fr.jpg

Thats actually a great idea. Get a second wheel or set of buttons if they are available separately and get them sorted and mounted ahead of time.

Back