Aloha from Maui, Hawaii!

hey_mikey

Concord, NC
Vehicle Model
Accord Sport
Body Style
Sedan
New member here, so I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. :wavey:My name's Mike, and I'm grew up here on Maui. Studied Mechanical Engineering at CalPoly SLO and Photography and Digital Imaging at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. I now sell Hondas and shoot weddings and portraits in my free time.

Currently drive a '12 Civic LX 4D 5-spd MT, which I bought to save on gas since regular unleaded is $4.89/gal here. It's stock so far except for a K&N drop-in filter and an 8th gen Si axleback. I have 8th gen sportlines from my last civic, but don't wanna bother putting it on with the stock steelies and hubcaps. I have minor stuff planned since this is gonna be a DD, but my wife and I are moving to NC (where she's from) this summer, so money is kinna tight. Here's a couple pics...

And some of my old rides...

wow, talk about a making a large move to NC. I take it you've spent some time there... how do you feel about moving away from Hawaii?

wow, talk about a making a large move to NC. I take it you've spent some time there... how do you feel about moving away from Hawaii?

I've been going back and forth to NC with my wife at least 2x a year over the past 5 years. It's different, but not in a bad way. The people are super friendly and Charlotte's a big hub for motorsports, which is what I wanna get into.

I'm def gonna miss Hawaii. It's always gonna be mu home, but the sky high cost of living, the lack of good jobs, and the whole "ainokea" (I don't care) mentality is really getting to me. Charlotte is the fastest growing city in America and I've had nothing but good experiences there, so I think I'm ready for a new start.

Some former 8th members recently moved from Orlando to Hawaii. Crazy stuff...

well, there are at least a few users from the site who live in that area. You'll also be relatively close to the "tail of the dragon" - ranked as one of the best roads. 318 curves in 11 miles. There is a forum meet there at the beginning of September

Welcome to the site fellow Mech-E. :wavey:

well, there are at least a few users from the site who live in that area. You'll also be relatively close to the "tail of the dragon" - ranked as one of the best roads. 318 curves in 11 miles. There is a forum meet there at the beginning of September

I definitely wanna try and make it out to that meet if time allows. I've read about the dragon from the 8th forums and car and driver, and it definitely sounds like it'll be worth the drive.

there are people on here who've driven from California to the meet multiple times. One person from Canada drove like 15hrs one way to get to the meet a number of times. If you're in Charlotte, it's nothing.

there are people on here who've driven from California to the meet multiple times. One person from Canada drove like 15hrs one way to get to the meet a number of times. If you're in Charlotte, it's nothing.

Yea but you gotta remember, I live on an island. I got used to long drives in California but for most people here, driving even one hour away is SUUUUPER far. Haha. It's a joke for most, but when you can drive around the whole island in a few hours, driving from state to state seems far.

here's a video i made of my last civic. i'm more of a photo guy than a video guy, but I've been trying to do more work like this.

got rid of this one cuz it was auto (my wife bought it and it became mine when she got a new car) and i couldn't stand the transmission. I did like the hydraulic PS better than the new electric system in the 9th. the only other thing i miss is those wheels. i thought about keeping them when I sold the car, but I didn't think I'd get into another civic so soon. these low rolling resistance tires on my new one are a real buzz kill when you're not trying to save gas...

Back