Ambient Sensor problems

Discussion in 'Navigation, Security Systems, & Electrical' started by FooBird, Oct 6, 2017.

1. FooBird
    • 2017 Toys For Tots
    • Supporting Member

FooBird If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.

Vehicle Model:
    Si
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    Started having problems with the ambient temperature sensor not working. Sporadically showing a temperature that's completely wrong, sometimes just empty bars (---°F) and today, nothing at all.

It's sad but it's been nearly 5.5 years and this is the first electrical problem showing up on the car (other than the charging system TSB that under-charged the battery). Ordered a new sensor and will being doing a little disassembly to try to figure it out. I have a feeling that it's got a short or resistor burned up. I'll update when I break everything open in the near future.

Tak, bootyluvr, webby and 1 other person like this.
  2. webby
    • Staff
    • 2017 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

def keep us posted on what you find

3. Pauly99to17

Pauly99to17 Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    2012 LX
    Body Style:
    Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
    I added my own sensor to my car because my 2012 LX did not one) and have the same problem although it always shows an incorrect temperature. I had a look at it and the connection points were badly rusted. I cleaned them as well as I could and noticed a difference afterwards but it wasn't long before the readings were off again. It seems the sensor is permanently damaged. Maybe rust inside. ? I need to order another one. They are not expensive at all. I think about 10$.

4. Nix
    • Staff
    • Supporting Member

Nix Jötunn Moderator

Body Style:
    It's A Fast Pig!
    I think they use thermistors instead of actual thermometers for those sensors.

I know they are supposedly accurate but i have no idea on durability.

5. FooBird
    • 2017 Toys For Tots
    • Supporting Member

FooBird If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.

Vehicle Model:
    Si
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    It's been pretty good all along but of late started going out. I picked up the replacement yesterday. Might get to take care of it on Saturday.

bootyluvr and bauer311 like this.