Ambient Sensor problems

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Started having problems with the ambient temperature sensor not working. Sporadically showing a temperature that's completely wrong, sometimes just empty bars (---°F) and today, nothing at all.

It's sad but it's been nearly 5.5 years and this is the first electrical problem showing up on the car (other than the charging system TSB that under-charged the battery). Ordered a new sensor and will being doing a little disassembly to try to figure it out. I have a feeling that it's got a short or resistor burned up. I'll update when I break everything open in the near future.

I added my own sensor to my car because my 2012 LX did not one) and have the same problem although it always shows an incorrect temperature. I had a look at it and the connection points were badly rusted. I cleaned them as well as I could and noticed a difference afterwards but it wasn't long before the readings were off again. It seems the sensor is permanently damaged. Maybe rust inside. ? I need to order another one. They are not expensive at all. I think about 10$.

I think they use thermistors instead of actual thermometers for those sensors.

I know they are supposedly accurate but i have no idea on durability.

It's been pretty good all along but of late started going out. I picked up the replacement yesterday. Might get to take care of it on Saturday.

Okay, so I finally got around to getting the front clip off of the car and found my problem. The ambient sensor, clip that holds it on, and the plug that the sensor goes into are all gone. Nothing in there but two blank wires. Uh...

On my way over to Honda to see what the harness price is and then going to have to call around to some junkers to see if I can't get myself that plug...because I'm going to guess that harness is $$$. Well, anyway, it sits right behind the aluminum crash bumper in front of the radiator, actually really easy to get to.

20171202_123830.jpg 20171202_125313.jpg

FML. Calling around and nobody wants to even talk to me about a 2012 Honda Civic. Unless those have wrecked out, there isn't going to be anything....UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And even if I find one, nobody is going to want to clip a pigtail on that harness to give to me. I've been down this path before with my old Pathfinder. That search took me halfway across the state of California before somebody would give me a pigtail.

I’ll keep an eye out. It’ll give me a reason to hit the junkyard in my town. Plus I need some stuff for my crv.

Glad you found what you were looking for foobird. Still strange how all that just disappeared...

Well, time to go out and party with my friends. Tomorrow I will need to figure out which wire goes where.

I have blue and red wires. The new plug is pink and green. Do you guys have any suggestions??

Back