Anyone have experience with a Pioneer Avic z140bh?

Ron C. Todd Jr.

Williamsburg, VA
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
coupe
I've posted elsewhere that I'm taking the stock navi out of my EX-L and replacing it with the 140. Mostly for the audio. I'm tried of chasing some buzzing and static that still emanates from my speakers. This better do it! Wish me luck.:feedback:

I have a z140 in my car now, originally ordered a z130 refurb but got sent a brand new 140 instead. I love it, sound quality is pretty impressive, i dont think youll be disappointed there. It does have some quirks as far as the interface but that may be a function of im used to how the f700 worked and so its been a slight learning curve.

its running the stock speakers in my 06 lx sedan and i can hear a significant difference over the f700, which sounded night and day better than the stock unit.

supposedly it can auto calibrate the EQ based on your cars acoustics using an optional microphone, i have yet to see if i can use the auto calibrate mic from a reciever i have lying around to do the same thing

Appreciate the feedback. I'll suck down the quirks for better sound. I thought the stock navi had some quirks so I guess it's just a matter of learning the system. I've heard about the auto EQ but the bottom line is apparently I don't like my music like that as I end up tweaking it to my taste anyway. Looking forward to it.

Does the EX-L sound system use a oem amp or is it driven from the stereo?

I know mine comes with an oem amp and is rated at 320 or something but don't know what impedance that is probably 2 ohm nor how they break it out. My '12 is an old one, bought last Aug. From what some of the guys with newer '12s, it seems they got the 160 watt version which I imagine they could get creative with their figures and do that from the head unit. Not sure. I originally tied into the factory amp with my LCQ-1 and that worked well except for that hiss and crackle at times...

I installed my old f700 on a friends '10 Si and integrated the oem amp, there was some initial noise making me wonder if it might be worth putting some ground loop isolators in line with the preamp outs on the z140 when you do the install.

I installed my old f700 on a friends '10 Si and integrated the oem amp, there was some initial noise making me wonder if it might be worth putting some ground loop isolators in line with the preamp outs on the z140 when you do the install.

I'm going the other route. Taking out OEM amp and sadly my LCQ-1 and running straight from preamp outs to my two amps. I love the LCQ-1 and if this doesn't give me the sound customization I want, then I'll look for an equalizer.

Ok, have not had enough time to even pair my iphone to it but did run through a number of quick tracks. First impression is that there is no comparison. Now I know what my system was truly capable of. Even ipod songs sounded decent. Absolutely glad I pulled the trigger on this one!

very nice. It's interesting to see you both saying the it improved things over the stock unit

I would have expected that a quality aftermarket head unit would be better than any stock OEM unit. I never pinpointed the source of the hissing and crackling, whether it was the head unit or amp but my sound now is clean, very clean.

it doesn't work with the bluetooth or the bluetooth buttons in the car. there is a separate mic that I had to mount. It does work better than the OEM bluetooth. As for the steering wheel controls, that is an ongoing issue. I think it's a CAN BUS issue. So the adapter company is going to try to link up with Honda Canada to see if they can get it figured out. It works about 50% of the time. When it works, it's awesome when it doesn't it's frustrating.

Back