Anyone upgraded their rearview mirror to auto-dim / homelink?

It appears that you are correct. If I turn off my dome light the auto dim goes off. Could you give me some tips on how to find the right wire? If I take down the map light assembly that has teh sunroof controls there are 2 plugs. One is for the map light. (2 wires) I took the homelink from that. The other plug is about 8 or 10 wires. Any idea which wire I want to use or how to figure it out with a multimeter? I saw like 4 that showed me about 12v.

Thanks!
Bill

@webby

Maybe tap the wire that goes to the sunroof switch? Sorry, I did the plug n play. There has to be a wiring diagram here or on google. Best of luck!

I was trying to grab a wire from the sunroof switch, but was not having a whole lot of luck for some reason. It was dark and freezing cold outside so I am sure I overlooked something. I am going to buy more of the wire taps that clamp on to the middle of the wire to let you plug into them today. If I just put one on each wire I read for power with my multimeter I should be good, right? One of them will be the right one. Shouldn't be any harm in tapping into the wrong one at that point unless I am missing something.

Let me know if you think that should be ok. Thanks!

Sounds like ^ that
@webby

Maybe tap the wire that goes to the sunroof switch? Sorry, I did the plug n play. There has to be a wiring diagram here or on google. Best of luck!
I don't have a wire diagram sorry. You can get the wiring diagrams from Honda for $10 with a one day subscription. Maybe @ADExternal has done wiring in that area?

You probably wont be able to find the ignition wire for the suroof. Easiest and simplified method is to run a wire from the ignition fuse, its just a single wire up the A pillar. You dont need to take any panels off, just run it behind the rubber wedge that goes up the door. I did mine from the 12v acc since it turns off with the car.

Thanks. I will look into that. Are you wedging the wire between the windshield and the A Pillar or the door and the A pillar? A few other people on here mentioned taking ignition power from the moonroof wiring which is why I went that route.

Will my manual show me which wire is the 12v acc? Can I just clamp on to that's wire like I did the others?

Thanks!

Thanks. I will look into that. Are you wedging the wire between the windshield and the A Pillar or the door and the A pillar? A few other people on here mentioned taking ignition power from the moonroof wiring which is why I went that route.

Will my manual show me which wire is the 12v acc? Can I just clamp on to that's wire like I did the others?

Thanks!

Between the door and A pillar where the rubber thing runs down. I dont remember if the manual shows it but theres a panel under the dash that does. If you want it even easier, you can tap it to the back of the 12vAcc Outlet. Just make sure it turns off with the ignition.

So I thought I was finished up doing this mod but after a thorough testing the mirror powers off when the dome lights fade off. I tapped the constant power and ground to the dome lights. I'm sure this is why I am having this issue.

What wire did you guys tap into for the constant power? If someone could tell me the color of the wire to tap I would appreciate it.

FYI: I ran the ignition wire to fuse #23 and the dome had a green and a light blue wire. I guessed that the green was ground and light blue was power.

@ADExternal

I figured it out. Now time to program the homelink....

I figured it out. Now time to program the homelink....

Nomar06, I just purchased a '15 exl for my wife a few weeks ago. I've already purchased the gentex mirror ($40 shipped via ebay :dancingcoolsmiley:) , but would you mind sharing the wires that you connected to for the install?. Like you, I am planning to connect to the sunroof/map lights power sources. Thank you

Last edited:
Sure but I will have to pull the dome light since I didn't take any pics.

About those pics... Still up for doing that?
Sorry for the delay....

So you have the 3 wires coming out of the clip.

One is the ground....drivers side bolt in the overhead light.

One is constant, I believe, but the black/red wire....tapped the blue wire in the overhead light.

One is the ignition wire....I wired it down to the in cabin fuse box and tapped it into the #23 fuse, which I think was empty.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I've got a 2013 Civic Hybrid. Is there any difference in performance or features between the Honda OEM mirror and parts:
https://estore.honda.com/honda/acce...brid-w-leather-cvt&ec=&oc=CIVIC13424&dl=#fn:1
https://estore.honda.com/honda/acce...ic-hybrid-w-leather-cvt&ec=&oc=CIVIC13155&dl=
https://estore.honda.com/honda/acce...ic-hybrid-w-leather-cvt&ec=&oc=CIVIC13154&dl=
Total cost is $308 + shipping!!!

Or the Gentex brand? My brother got a Gentex with Homelink & Compass in his 2012 Camry a couple years ago and he said his mirror was pretty much plug-and-play directly into the overhead lighting compartment. No fancy splicing or hiding of wires was needed

I saw some of you spent MUCH less, but was it hard to do all this wiring yourself? Which mirror kit should I get?

Difference in the ones on your link are from Honda. Might have more features, therefore more wiring from Honda as well.

I got my agent ex one from eBay that came with a "wiring kit".but as you can see on my pics, I had to do a real simple wiring job.

Back