Apple CarPlay

wounder what the fee will be to buy the update, something crazy I bet, show be free as it will in the 2015's
Completely ridiculous. Honda does not charge for software/firmware updates. They updated the Accord with the "eyes-free" Siri update so you could press and hold the phone button on the steering wheel to trigger Siri, without charging customers.

Any updates on this for the 2015 Civic models? It would be great if it turns out to be a simple firmware update (not holding my breath). At the end of the day, CarPlay doesn't necessarily ADD any more benefits in terms of features already available in the current models so it wouldn't be a total loss. The smooth UI would definitely be welcome though!

Any updates on this for the 2015 Civic models? It would be great if it turns out to be a simple firmware update (not holding my breath). At the end of the day, CarPlay doesn't necessarily ADD any more benefits in terms of features already available in the current models so it wouldn't be a total loss. The smooth UI would definitely be welcome though!

When I bought my 2015 thursday the dealer mentioned something about this. At least I'm pretty sure that's what they were talking about. They hooked my iPhone up for me and showed me that holding the talk button on the steering wheel would activate Siri and showed me other stuff like playing music from my phone and told me if I get the hdmi cord for the iPhone from Hondas website or Apple I can even watch movies on the display in the car when it's parked

Thats called Siri Voice Control. Basically, holding down the talk button is equivalent to holding down the Home button on an iPhone. and Siri commands and responses are sent to the car's speakers and microphone. Pretty good feature, impressed some people. It looks like the 2015 doesnt have CarPlay yet. Too bad car entertainment technology isn't as quick as cell phone technology to update.

Here is the latest Honda has had to say on this, which is not much...
c8e879908641dcd1b7818f710d4090e5.jpg

My guess is that Honda is reserving this for the 10th gen. Civic redesign. I hope I'm wrong! Especially after the press used the current Civic dash to showcase how it would look.

I think someone on macrumors forms posted something similar on Twitter, and customer service of Honda said the 2014 was demonstration purposes only and is really planed for future models.

I don't blame Honda for putting it off, they are a motor/car company and not a tech company. Although I have a 2014 and really did expect some software update.

Last edited:
I think someone on macrumors forms posted something similar on Twitter, and customer service of Honda said the 2014 was demonstration purposes only and is really planed for future models.

I don't blame Honda for putting it off, they are a motor/car company and not a tech company. Although I have a 2014 and really did expect some software update.
I have a 2014 as well @sircoffee and was hoping for a software update to enable CarPlay in my vehicle. I just hate this waiting game :mad:

My iPhone 6 won't even work with the Honda. Come on Honda - the electronics are one of the things that set this car apart, and this is an epic FAILURE on your (Honda's) part.

My iPhone 6 won't even work with the Honda. Come on Honda - the electronics are one of the things that set this car apart, and this is an epic FAILURE on your (Honda's) part.

I believe the system was originally designed to work with the "5" series only with iOS 7. 5, 5c, & 5S.

I believe the system was originally designed to work with the "5" series only with iOS 7. 5, 5c, & 5S.

I would think that the system should work when the new iOS gets upgraded. I can't believe that Honda thought it would just stay the same. It should be able to handle iOS upgrades.
@Dherrmann, have you asked the dealership if there's a software upgrade to allow the iPhone 6 to work?

Maybe automakers fear that CarPlay will drive android users out since it's incompatible. Since there IS more non iOS users other there.

There are numerous articles saying that they expected the android unit to be in numerous cars for the auto show. None had it working & no comments were released on when they expected it to be working.

Back