DIY Applying 3M Paint Defender (Full Details)

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
The 3M Paint Defender is a spray-on film that protects your paint for at least one year.

Test subject: 2007 Honda Civic Si (Hood)
Temp: 65-70 degrees
Humidity; 0%

Difficulty: Easy
Application time: 30min-45min
Total time: around 12 hours

So this DIY is for applying 3M Paint on your car's hood. This will also give you a basic idea on applying 3M Defender on other exterior panels.

**Do not attempt this DIY during cold temps unless your garage is heated**

These are pretty much all you need to do this DIY.

pd1.sized.jpg

-1x 3M Paint Defender Spray
-1x 3M Spray can trigger (or other spray can triggers)
-1x Your favorite sealant/wax or the provided 3M synthetic wax
-1x Your favorite sealant/wax applicator
-1x Your favorite microfiber cloth
-1x Respirator
-1x Painter's tape
-2x large garbage bags

Here's a little 'preface' or pre-DIY to the DIY if you will. It will give you an idea of what your up against.

There are some flaws in their DIY that you should avoid that will be mentioned.

I created this DIY so the chances of getting runs and orange peel will be low.

Step one:

-Wash the car (or just the hood) and drive it inside a garage to keep debris/dust/leaves/pollen from hitting the surfaces. Make sure the area is enclosed and ventilated. You wouldn't want bugs flying around and landing on the sprayed area. They will get stuck. :giggle: I used a box fan that exhausted the air out to keep any dust minimal.

Step two:

-When the car is nice and cool, cover up the exposed areas that you don't want to get sprayed on using the garbage bags. Keep the hood ajar. I cut the two bags so that they became large sheets. I then cut one bag into two equal sheets. Use the Painter's tape to hold the sheets in tact.

The large sheet was used to cover the entire top section above the hood.

pd2.sized.jpg

And the two small sheets are used to cover the front end and the front fenders. The two sheets are sitting diagonally, like shown in the pic below.

pd3.sized.jpg

Make sure the sheets tuck underneath and are barely touching the hood.

Step 3:

-Wax the entire hood of your car. You can also use clay bar beforehand to make the surface as smooth and clean as possible.

Step 4 (What 3M should have mentioned):

-Soak the 3M Defender Spray can in hot tap water (not boiling) for about 10-15min. If it's hot to the touch, it's ready to spray. You can wipe the wax off while waiting for the can to warm up.

Do not spray the can when the can is cold. This is how people get bad results. And they complain in the reviews section that they get runs and orange peel.

pd4.sized.jpg

Step 5:

-When the can is ready to spray, attach the spray can trigger and you can start spraying. 3M states that you have to apply three coats without stopping. Don't do that. You can wait for at least 1-2 minutes between each coats. The nozzle will not dry/clog when you wait between coats since the film has a very long time dry time to begin with. Waiting for a few seconds in between coats will also help prevent runs. I also placed two large cardboard by the front fenders to reduce overspray.

Don't forget to put your respirator on!

Spray 3 even coats or as even as you can make it.

-1st coat: Horizontal
-2nd coat: Vertical
-3rd coat: Horizontal

You can pretty much follow the directed speed (3 ft/sec) and distance to the surface (8"). I managed to have some left over in the spray can. According to 3M, the entire can should cover up half the hood.

The sprayed surface should look like this:

pd5.sized.jpg

Step 6:

-Remove the sheets of garbage bags and be careful not to touch the sprayed area. Let the film dry for 12 hours or more.

Step 7:

-Wax the treated area and your car's hood (Or whatever you spray) is now protected.

pd6.sized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks webs!

Nice DIY :thumb: I've been looking into doing this to my 2014. The paint is just as thin as the 2012 and the bras/deflectors offered are ugly and over priced for what they are.

Nice DIY :thumb: I've been looking into doing this to my 2014. The paint is just as thin as the 2012 and the bras/deflectors offered are ugly and over priced for what they are.

Thanks man. I bought three cans from Advanceautoparts for ~$16 each and filled out a rebate to get the third one for free (refund). :giggle: The rebate is still live and the sale is still going on when you do a store pick-up purchase online. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...-film-90000/10610987-P?searchTerm=3m+defender

So it's definitely worth the money for something that will supposedly last for at least one year. And you can cover the entire hood in comparison to the clear bra that covers less than half.

And when the hell did you get a new car? Lol.

Thanks man. I bought three cans from Advanceautoparts for ~$16 each and filled out a rebate to get the third one for free (refund). :giggle: The rebate is still live and the sale is still going on when you do a store pick-up purchase online. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-paint-defender-spray-film-90000/10610987-P?searchTerm=3m defender

So it's definitely worth the money for something that will supposedly last for at least one year. And you can cover the entire hood in comparison to the clear bra that covers less than half.

And when the hell did you get a new car? Lol.
I'm curious as to where you got the rebate? I put 3 in the cart and it's showing like 50 something dollars?

The 3M Defender does not like bird poop. Lol. It wrinkled up. It is also my fault for leaving it there for a day while it was baking under the sun.
sazapu3y.jpg

Reactions: Nix
Great thread man! Nicely done. The defender may have wrinkled but it protected your paint from that bird bomb. That wrinkle could have been etched into your paint instead of the coating.

Would the "wrinkle" also happen if the car has the 3M clear bra? I got quoted at around $400 to get my truck done, too late for the Si too many chips and scratches to count. :(

Great thread man! Nicely done. The defender may have wrinkled but it protected your paint from that bird bomb. That wrinkle could have been etched into your paint instead of the coating.
Thanks man. It definitely defended my hood from that bird bomb. :giggle: This one was probably 1.75" in diameter.

Would the "wrinkle" also happen if the car has the 3M clear bra? I got quoted at around $400 to get my truck done, too late for the Si too many chips and scratches to count. :(
It probably won't. Clear bra is a harder material. But the problem with the 3M Clear Bra is that there will be discoloration over time.

The newer films are a lot better with "yellowing". I've seen some 4+yrs old that looked new.

That's good. I do like how I can cover the entire hood using this product compared to clear bra.

They do make precut kits with clearbra film for the full hood. They have kits that even have like 3/4" excess to wrap and tuck under the edges. It's just not comparable cost wise to the spray. A full hood piece by itself would be around ~$150 on the low end without install costs. 3m film being much higher than that.

Pics of my trunk getting a coating of 3M.
IMG_4597.JPG IMG_4600.JPG IMG_4679.JPG

For some reason, the coating did not cure perfectly. It is very opaque leaving the rear bumper look off colored. Here's a comparison using flash and without flash. Keep in mind the splash guards are also sprayed with 3M.

With Flash:
IMG_4763.JPG IMG_4764.JPG

Without flash:IMG_4765.JPG IMG_4766.JPG

There's absolutely no runs on the rear bumper. It is only opaque. And I do not want to peel off the coating since it is a waste of a full can.

It looks fine with the flash. How does it look in full daylight? Maybe something few would notice, or is it real obvious? Looks great to me in the pics with flash FWIW.

The pic without the flash is what the bumper will look like regularly. So it looks lighter in color. The coating is refracting the light in a weird manner. I'm surprised I didn't get this issue with the hood. It could be the different conditions and in weather, humidity, etc.

That's possible. Like when I took that shot with the flash. The direction of the light was perpendicular to the surface. So I guess if the angle is not perpendicular, the color will not look right.

Back