Auto On Headlight Issues

rcracer

Norcal
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic EX-L Nav
Body Style
Sedan
My headlight keeps turning on and off even when its broad daylight. It turns on even when a truck or building briefly casting a shadow. It's gets annoying so I just turn it off. Anybody having the same problems with the auto on/off feature? It also becomes embarrassing to the car in front of me when when they go on and off. Any way I can change the sensitivity setting? thanks in advance.

page 91 of the coupe manual - (probably similar in sedan book)

============

headlight.sized.jpg

=====

have you adjusted the sensitivity, or do you know what setting it's on? max/high/mid low/min

Is your light sensor covered by something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^yea the windshield haha. This happens while driving during the day. On my way to work it goes on and off at least 15 times over a 30 mile stretch. I'll check the sensitivity on the way home thanks Webby.

I have the sensitivity on "High" in my car and I don't find any issue with it...now sometimes when I drive to work in the mornings my headlights will be on even though it is bright out because it must just be dark enough to trigger it....maybe there is debris or something on your sensor

Mine is on minimum. Now, my headlights don't come on when it's dark and rainy but daylight, but I have the same problems as the OP - the lights will turn off and on sometimes for no good reason. In the morning, if I'm driving away from the sun, the headlights will be on most of the time, but do flash off and on randomly sometimes. My 09 Corolla had the automatic headlights (but you could not override them and turn them off), and it did not have the same problems. I've gotten to the point where I mostly stopped using the auto setting.

Just figured out what it all means in the 2012 Si
Sensitivity is just what it means - how sensitive!
Max is most sensitive "brightest"
Min is "dimmest"
There's a 5-second delay between triggering and coming on or going off. (Used a flashlight to test this function.)
With ours set on Max the lights come on if you're parked or heading away from the sun after 5 PM on a sunny day (today).
With it set on Min they stay off in a moderately shady area at the same time of day.
I still think even Min is way too bright to have the lights come on but at least I understand them now.

Back