automatic transmission: D3 2 1 etc

TBravery

I know that these gears are used for special conditions, but is there a certain way to access these safely without wrecking the trans? (ie driving on the 5th gear, then switching to 1)

No, there's no safety. I don't think the trans will let you go from 5th to 1st though. But 5th to 2nd, yes. It's all in the driver's hands to not make a mistake in terms of downshifting.

Last edited:
I know that these gears are used for special conditions, but is there a certain way to access these safely without wrecking the trans? (ie driving on the 5th gear, then switching to 1)
Just me but my thinking is not so much special conditions as much as normal driving.
1st if you want to select a lower gear than D3, it will go in to what you want(as far as the forward gears are concerned), just hold the trigger and put it in a lower gear.
What you should take note of is the rpms you're turning at the time of gear change, it can jump 10 , 15 , 20 1000 between each gear depending on your speed. Normally you'll only move down one gear at a time, but if wanting to go to 2nd from D3 it will do it fine if you have an extra 20 grand before red line(or where you don't like to go any higher than(that's up to you).
As for D3 to 1st it will go, but being a front wheel drive car, it's not serving the same purpose as a rear drive........ Using the brakes is a better option, that way you can get all 4 wheels helping, and if you're trying to brake the rear only, use the hand brake(keep your trigger compressed).

To be safe practice in stages of lower rpms and work your way up to you know what it's doing, and what you want from it.

The rule of racing is slow in fast out........ get your braking done so by the time you're in the turn you can be accelerating though it, that way the car is better balanced though the turn.

A lot of ppl just put the car in 3D and leave it, but it should be in a lower gear going down a hill(enough to put some drag on) and up hill , or leaving a light. In my book as far as gears it should be used kind of like a ST but no clutch, just not as tightly wound(since it has some rpm changes in D3 and D2 on it's own).

can it upshift safely? (starting at a pure stop with 1 selected, then going up to 2 then D3 then D?)

Lol. For some reason, I was thinking manual trans.

can it upshift safely? (starting at a pure stop with 1 selected, then going up to 2 then D3 then D?)
Yes. It should say something in the owners manual about how the auto trans can be shifted like a manual going frlm 1 -> 2 -> D3 etc

Everything I said, I meant Normal driving in D , where I said D3. Sorry I forgot , I don't look at it , I just put it in D and feel/know where to put it from there.

Another thing with all the talk about engine revving, and ppl that can't get it to quit, just remember if needed you can move from D to N without having to use the trigger, just move to N......

ENGINE REVVING HANG UP HAS..... "NOT"....... BEEN FOUND WITH THE HONDA, but some other cars.

looks like they took that verbiage out of the 2012 owners manual. the previous generation civic (which had the same transmission with different programming) said the following about shifting:

View attachment 9895
now is there a certain way to go about doing this? do I need to let go of the gas pedal when shifting?

now is there a certain way to go about doing this? do I need to let go of the gas pedal when shifting?
No reason to let off the gas to shift in either direction, it will do it no matter what the gas pedal is doing........
That being said, it works better to give it some rpm(gas) when down shifting to avoid wheel/tyre spin, or just plain smoother on everything.

I went out today and tried shifting from D to 1st(at 35 mph).... there is a difference of up to 30k diff' on the rpm's .... and probably 40k if traveling at a high rate of speed.

Back