B Series problems

ron v

Fuego from San Diego
Escondido
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Si Coupe
So I could use some help before I spend some money. My hatchy is running high idle and sometimes chases from 1400-1900 then settles after about a minute at normal operating temps. When it settles the idle is usually about 1200. Sometimes it settles at 1050.

It’s a b18c with a Skunk2 Im and Skunk2 type r throttle body. Hondata thermal IM gasket. My TB doesn’t have a fitv so that’s off the list.

What I’ve done so far was cleaned the IACV, checked for vacuum leaks around the IM and injectors, tried to reset the idle, cleaned the tb even though it’s practically brand new. Messed with the throttle plate and adjustment screw and have played with the idle adjustment screw. I know ohms for a IACV should be around 8-15 so my next step should probably be hitting that with my meter. Also to hit all vacuum hoses and ends for leaks.

My first thought is a bad IACV. If not I’m fearing it’s something in the head components. I know there’s a lot of Honda heads lurkin so any thoughts at all are appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Lol no love.

It was the IACV. Took my buddies off his f22 and the car idles perfectly. Even after a long test drive.

I was jk.

But I found something out that I didn’t know that would saved some money in the past. One IACV will work across H22’s, b18’s, d16’s, f22’s. You might have to look up the different letters and numbers after the engine type but a friend made me aware of this. You can buy oem remanufactured ones off eBay for $80.

Damn i didn't see this earlier. I would have pointed right to the IACV. Bouncy idle on the old Honda motors is almost always a bad IACV. My 97 is on its second one, and its starting to get the bounce too so its probably gonna get replaced again here soon.

My biggest fear was the Intake manifold. Scraping off the old gasket for the thermal was a complete nightmare as I'm sure you know. I was hoping I didn't take a fat chunk out the aluminum causing a vacuum leak. I probably should've had the machine shop check it out while my head was there but I'm sure they would've said something.

Back