Bald summer tires at 15xxx Miles

Michael Sanford

Vehicle Model
2014 Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I went to Kansas this Christmas to visit family this year and decided to drive. Which is about a 10 hour drive for me here in Georgia. I had got my car services on 10/16/2015 at the Honda dealership her in GA for a routine oil change and tire rotation. They found 2 nails in the back tires and patched them, no big deal. So, off we go to Kansas on the 21st of December. The ride there wasn't so bad and was dry weather for the most part. However, upon my return trip it had been raining for 3 days. I make it to the Missouri state line and the rear-end of the car begins to kick out from under me pretty badly at speeds 35+. So, I look up the nearest Honda dealership and it's roughly 50 miles away. I limp to the dealership at 6:02 pm Saturday night right as the service dep is closing. I stay in Missouri for sat, and sun, and when they open on monday I took it in first thing. It turns out the rear tires had next to no tread and the front tires had worn down to the wear indicators. I plan on taking this back up to the Honda dealership in GA and ask them why they didn't notify me that the tires were in that poor condition. I know, as a driver that is in part my responsibility, but even on the vehicle inspection sheet they gave me before I left it had that all 4 tires had excellent tread. Thoughts?
12449744_10208076028321121_1947979520_o.jpg

Wow, Im surprised how bald the rear tires have gotten. There might have been a misalignment. Did you hit a pot hole or a curb? The toe is definitely off on the rear end. What's the tread rating on those tires?

did you rotate the tires at all? Were the ones on the rear originally on the front? Constantly doing burnouts?

I've gotten the tires rotated each time I've gone in to get oil changed. Which is whenever the light comes on in the car lol. I don't do burn outs unless I'm pulling out in front of traffic. As for the tires, they are continental brand and came on the car. I was just shocked that they were that bad.

Is your suspension stock? If you really aren't doing constant burnouts, you have a suspension issue and need to get an alignment done asap. Your replacement tires are going to look just like this if you don't get the suspension in spec.

Im surprised the tread measurements are not filled out in the sheet. The color should only be determined by the tread depth...

Is your suspension stock? If you really aren't doing constant burnouts, you have a suspension issue and need to get an alignment done asap. Your replacement tires are going to look just like this if you don't get the suspension in spec.
The suspension is stock, and I had a 4 wheel alignment done when they put the new tires on.

did you get the printout showing what the before/after alignment was? What did they find?

you should have a sheet like this -

5tQVZke.jpg

The rear Left Tire was 10mm off and the rear Right tire was 11mm off. That's pretty bad lol.

no idea what that means. They should be telling you degrees for toe, caster, camber, etc on each side/front & back

Subscribed. I'm interested to see the outcome.

I was reading the first post and started to scroll down to look at the tires and I was like the tires (top 2) don't look bad until I saw the bottom two (rear) tires. :omg:

I wonder if they really rotated the tires during each oil change.. +1 to a suspension issue in the rear and/or a bad alignment by them.

I'd definitely bring it up to the dealership/service department.

Did you buy the car brand new?

The technician said they weren't able to print off that sheet due to technical issues, and that's all the info he gave me over the phone. He said it was pretty bad. And, yes, I did buy the car new. 12/22/2014

The toe has to be off. Probably not that noticeable around town but after dragging them on a long trip.... destroyed. The toe being way off will make the rear end jump around a lot. Front too but if those were your rear tires and you had the back feeling very loose and jumpy I would bet the toe is the issue.

no idea what that means. They should be telling you degrees for toe, caster, camber, etc on each side/front & back
The rear Left Tire was 10mm off and the rear Right tire was 11mm off. That's pretty bad lol.

"Converting from mm to degrees:

1. Multiply rim diameter (sic.(should be rolling dia. incl tire)) in inches by 25.4 to get rim diameter in mm.
2. Multiply the result by PI to get the circumference.
3. Divide the result by 360 to get mm per degree.
4. Divide the toe mm by the mm/degree result to get toe in decimal degrees "

Any shop unable to provide a print out (digital or physical) that can't explain the difference, or provide the answer in the format desired should be avoided.

Even converting 11mm to degrees, it still doesn't tell him what the heck was off. "The tire was 11mm off". What was 11mm off? The toe just in the rear? He should be able to get all the info for before/after. If the guy can tell him details of the alignment, then snap a picture of the screen and text it or something. No?

Back