Basic Car Wash Techniques - DRIVE CLEAN

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Sqi1lAj1A

This weeks video discusses some of the techniques to safely wash your car using soft and safe paint soap, along with the 3 bucket method to avoid any chance of inadvertently scratching the vehicle during the wash process. Each car has its own nuances, so remember to adjust your techniques according to the needs of your specific vehicle, ie...black paint vs light colored, clearcoat vs single stage, vintage car vs new car. Pick and choose which techniques work best on your vehicle and add it your Sunday routine....then hit the road!

I personally do two extra steps beyond what he already does.

1. Separate wash mitts - for the top/upper sides of the car, then the lower portions.
2. Blow dry the entire car - no towel drying.

• Staff
So the blower is enough to use zero towels? Or do you microfiber some after the blower? I can't imagine the air doing the whole job, but I've never used one.

Yes, the blower completely dries the car. I can also tell by how well the water gets chased off the paint, whether it's time to strip, clay bar and wax.

I will go back to any little areas that might need a final touch with a plush microfiber and detailer. Usually very little if any.

• Staff
you know what make/model your blower is? I may have to try one

I think any inexpensive blower should work. I bought this one a couple of years ago.

get

• Staff
you use any other skinny adapter on the end to make the air stream thinner/smaller, or just like that?

man.. webby it's good seeing you active on forums again (8thcivic). I do the same as KennyGS. If the water doesn't bead up and immediately get blown off, it might be time to clay bar/wax/etc...

If it's not completely dry, I follow up with microfiber drying towels, especially around emblems and door jambs, etc..

thanks man, appreciate it. Did you pick up a 9th, or just checking things out here?

Speaking of how well the blower gets into the seams/cracks/badges/etc. , I'd like to say this is the best car I've ever had for washing/detailing due to there is almost nothing to get snagged on including underneath(love it).
I've been looking though a lot of these detail threads, but so far haven't seen any comments on keeping the wax away from crevices, Somewhere in the past I was told not to get wax into areas that I can't get it out, because it makes a good water trap. So for the sake of ppl that don't know this or for someone that might be able to give me an update, feel free to comment.

not sure why you'd even need the shutoff? If you're running it off a garden hose, you have some sort of shutoff at the wall already. The sprayer has a handle on it like a normal garden hose, so it's not going to spray if you aren't pressing the handle. You should be fine with just the part you linked above. No shutoff

quick connect would be decent, but I guess it depends on how often you'd be taking this on/off your hose? Otherwise, it's just a matter of twisting it on the end of your hose.

I just finished washing my car and thought of a simple thing I'll pass along......... I have always tryed to spread and hold what ever cloth(microw) I'm rinsing without touching ground or something that may contaminate it.........A flash went off, draped the cloth over my forearm like a waiter and rinse, turn it over repeat..... Yeh I know everyone does that already....... : )

Back