Best winter tires for freeway driving?

subii

Idaho
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Ex
Body Style
sedan
What are the best winter tires for mostly freeway driving?

I drive about 70 miles each day on the freeway, most of the time speeds are around 60-70 mph. I had a set of Blizzak WS60 for my Cooper S, but they sucked on the grooved pavement. I am guessing about 90% of my freeway drive is on grooved pavement. The WS60s would throw the car from side to side. I could put my foot on the top of the tire, push, and get the car to rock back and forth. It seems like the sidewall strength was reduced to make the tires cheaper.

They keep the freeways clear most of the time, but we do get some heavy snow, and really struggle with ice/black ice (I'm in southern Idaho).

Any recommendations?

LOL, no, I didn't even click on that thread because I thought it would be about all season tires rather than winter tires.

I've read reviews saying that "ice tires" are effective for users who have to travel on highways a lot, as opposed to side streets.

Michelin X-Ice, Primacy or Pilot Alpin, Yokohama Iceguard IG20 are examples of ice tires. They won't be as good as winter tires are in deep snow, but they'd be better for highway travel.

I've read reviews saying that "ice tires" are effective for users who have to travel on highways a lot, as opposed to side streets.

Michelin X-Ice, Primacy or Pilot Alpin, Yokohama Iceguard IG20 are examples of ice tires. They won't be as good as winter tires are in deep snow, but they'd be better for highway travel.

X-Ice are out due to poor reviews on tire wear. I might just give the Blizzak WS70 a try.

What are the best winter tires for mostly freeway driving?
I drive about 70 miles each day on the freeway, most of the time speeds are around 60-70 mph. I had a set of Blizzak WS60 for my Cooper S, but they sucked on the grooved pavement. Any recommendations?

The best thing for groved pavement driving is the tyre pattern, any pattern that has the channels running in the same direction as the groves on the road are going to cause the tyre to dance to the grove. Use a cross pattern thread and you won't even know you're on groves.
The main area of the tyre that will effect this is the middle more so than the edge.
You need to look at the patterns of each brand to choose whitch are for you.
How to choose:
The straighter the groove with the lest amount of sections over all in the tyre, the better the wear and the better the mpg of fuel.

The more the cross pattern is the less effect the road groves will have on your cars movement(dance). This type of tyre pattern will wear faster, and work against mpg.
It will also give better braking grip.

All you need to do is find a tyre that has the pattern that fits you best.

I'm going to search for some links that show whatt I'm talking about. I'll post those later while I watch the two least likely's on the tube now.

Thanks Monk, dance is a perfect term for what I experienced in my Mini. When I bought my car the dealer damaged the drivers side door, so they put me in an LX while my car was in the shop, the LX did the same thing, I hated it.

I'm glad you linked to the Continental Extreme Winter Contact, they were on my original list of possible tires from their high reviews. I just need to find them locally, shipping from Tire Rack is getting out of hand.

Thanks Monk, dance is a perfect term for what I experienced in my Mini. When I bought my car the dealer damaged the drivers side door, so they put me in an LX while my car was in the shop, the LX did the same thing, I hated it.

I'm glad you linked to the Continental Extreme Winter Contact, they were on my original list of possible tires from their high reviews. I just need to find them locally, shipping from Tire Rack is getting out of hand.

Through my riding life most of the grooved pavement I've run across(with?) has been on my MC, talk about dancing(Tango) and that was before mc tyres were even concidering cross patterns. Today I run Mich PR2's(MC) and track like I was a train they're so good.

Glad I could give a little reassurance in your choice..........

I had a set of Michelin hydroedge tires on a previous vehicle. I think that was the first set of tires that did that for me. It wasn't horrible, but they definitely wanted to follow grooves in the road.

Back